Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
It is going to be a long year with no chance of moving on in a bowl. Hopefully they will get alot of work in and be even stronger in 2003. Are they losing recruits over this ?
Print the post Back To Top
Duke,

Well, recruiting is done for this year. Actually, the penalties didn't hurt us too bad, we only "lost" a couple of players due to the NCAA stuff. Many of the recruits called the staff after the penalties were handed and told Franchione that they were coming to Bama, regardless !!!

We got some decent HS recruits and a few of good JUCO transfers, one DB, one DT and one LB that are highly rated.

Spring practice is about half finished and things are going well. The strength and conditioning coach has got these guys working hard and they are bigger and stronger than last year. Having a full season under the new staff has helped considerably, the spring practices are much more organized and they are getting more done since they are trying to figure where they are supposed to be on the field, etc, while learning new systems.

Bama has appealed the penalties and opinions vary widely as to any relief, the most common being that we make get back one bowl year and get a few scholarships restored. It's really hard to say what will happen when the NCAA is involved.

Overall, Bama should have a really strong team this year. Franchione sat on most of the recruits from last year, he only played one and redshirted 19 of them. The secondary should be improved, we are lacking some depth and size at linebacker, but the JUCO transfer and one of the redshirts should help there. The DL is very strong and has a lot of Seniors on it (Kenny King, Jarret Johnson, Kindal Moorehead), so there will probably be a drop off there after this season. The offense is returning the entire starting OL and will have 2 Srs. We lost our TE (Terry Jones, Jr), Freddie Milons and McAddley as they were Srs, but we have some receivers with experience, plus a JUCO transfer. The OL matured during the season last year, and the staff plans to open up the offense more this year, so expect less options and more passing. Many expect Brodie Croyle to beat out Tyler Watts by mid-season to become the new starting QB as he is the more talented passer of the QBs.

So, all in all, I expect a good season from the Tide this year. When it will hurt is the 2 seasons after, when we don't have a lot of depth at any position.

Just my $0.02 worth...If you want to find more chat about Bama Football, check out http://www.bamavillage.com/bv. Lots of knowledgeable fans and good talk about football, not the name calling and flaming you see on a lot of other boards...

Roll Tide Forever, War Eagle NEVER !!!

Brian
BBQ Boy - the spring practices are much more organized

Response - Yeah, because they don't have to drop off payments anymore :)

BBQ Boy - Bama has appealed the penalties and opinions vary widely as to any relief, the most common being that we make get back one bowl year and get a few scholarships restored. It's really hard to say what will happen when the NCAA is involved.

Response - I don't think the NCAA will reverse anything - They wanted to make a statement and with two years probation, they will.

Gee, I thought it was only one year. Now post season football means -
1. Iron Bowl
2. Blue Gray Game

I can't believe CBS went along with the two year bowl ban as they must be upset holding the SEC contract. Maybe it will be swtiched to one.

BBQ Boy - Lots of knowledgeable fans and good talk about football, not the name calling and flaming you see on a lot of other boards...

Response - It's no use resorting to name calling - Auburn fans can't read anyway :)

Duke and Duke (Trading Places Fame) -
Yea Alabama, Drown em Tide
Every Bama man's behind you
Hit Your Stride.
The NCAA is teaching us to behave
And sent the next two football seasons to a watery grave

:(
Response - I don't think the NCAA will reverse anything - They wanted to make a statement and with two years probation, they will.

Gee, I thought it was only one year. Now post season football means -
1. Iron Bowl
2. Blue Gray Game

I can't believe CBS went along with the two year bowl ban as they must be upset holding the SEC contract. Maybe it will be swtiched to one.

Actually, the probation is 5 years, with 3 years of reduced scholarships (8 on the recently signed class, 7 for next year, then 6), 2 years of no post season play, including the SEC Championship game. I understand your feelings about the NCAA not changing anything, but if you have read up on their "findings" and the associated penalties, you will see that they were pretty much out to hammer us as much as they could. The NCAA did a fair amount of stretching their presentation by using a self-reported penalty associated with the basketball program to label Bama as a "repeat offender". They also used some information provided by a "secret witness" that was not disclosed prior to the initial meeting with the Comittee on Infractions. While some of the allegations are very strong, and I, in no way, say that we are totally innocent, what the NCAA handed down was very heavy handed and completely inconsistent with prior rulings. Bama has changed their legal team for the appeal and will go into the appeal process with much more of an aggressive stance. I am among those who expect minor relief, probably getting back one year of post-season play, and maybe 2-3 scholarships.

CBS has no say in what the NCAA doles out, much like the NCAA's member institutions. I don't believe that CBS is upset or hurt by this news. If you recall, CBS only has the contract for regular season play, the SEC Championship Game is covered by ABC on "Championship Weekend", where they will show the SEC and Big 12 Championship games back to back. So, there is no loss to CBS in this. Plus, the SEC is a very popular conference. Actually, I think CBS was happy to get out of their Big East contract and focus on the SEC where there is more interest.

Brian
Brian - CBS has no say in what the NCAA doles out

Duke and Duke - I think the networks have a much larger say on these issues then you can imagine. You are correct that ABC would be directly hurt if Alabama won the West and would not be able to play in the SEC title game. But CBS is also hurt if Alabama is having a good season, they need other "big" games to draw interest in teh SEC title race. Alabama is a good draw nonetheless and will have good ratings for Tennessee / Auburn.

I think that the NCAA is controlled solely by financial interests and if this were say Texas Christian would possibly receive the death penalty. I think Alabama coaches and boosters would have to literally kill thousands of people before they would ever even consider killing a cash cow such as Alabama is.

Just my two cents

Duke and Duke - Look at how CBS picks the NCAA tournament teams - Middle of the pack Majors always get in before excellent minors - its the ratings and nothing else (Why do you think they use RPI - 75% of RPI is based on opponents - only 25% is based on YOUR TEAMS efforts). Also, look at the BCS - it guarantees Major Only championships (and of course BIG CASH COW NBC / I mean ND). Granted most majors will clober mid majors in football (where depth is a larger issue - its easier to find a few good men for a powerhouse basketball team), however the BCS is basically about $ and ratings and little else. I would rather have the old bowl system (teams go to where they should based on prior arrangements) and let the chips fall where they will or have a "final four" championship after the bowl games are over based on final polls.