Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Guys,

Interesting comment that the "easying up" (slowdown) in drilling by energy is good for this little guy as they can actually get rigs.

Confession/disclosure: I've owned this little guy off and on for a couple of years and currently have a position.

Tim

http://www.robtv.com/

8:50 AM ET
The Street
Power Breakfast
Brian D. Fairbank, president and CEO, Nevada Geothermal Power
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Ticker for Nevada Geothermal is NGLPF.OB. Looks like a penny stock.

Plug in the word geothermal into symbol look-up and you get a list of half a dozen players, mostly traded on the CDNX. Names include Nevada, Sierra, Polaris and US Geothermal.

This seems to emphasize the speculative nature of geothermal investments at this point. Ethanol is much futher along and more credible. Perhaps major companies have an interest, but they seem not to be obvious.

This is a good one to keep an eye on, but it sounds like it could be years before they see profits.
Ticker for Nevada Geothermal is NGLPF.OB. Looks like a penny stock.

Plug in the word geothermal into symbol look-up and you get a list of half a dozen players, mostly traded on the CDNX. Names include Nevada, Sierra, Polaris and US Geothermal.

This seems to emphasize the speculative nature of geothermal investments at this point. Ethanol is much futher along and more credible. Perhaps major companies have an interest, but they seem not to be obvious.

This is a good one to keep an eye on, but it sounds like it could be years before they see profits.

Paul,

Since this is the "Canada - Microcaps" board I will use NGP.v ticker.
;-)

The company has four projects including one (Blue Mountain) that has a PPA with Nevada Power Company and planned (If I recall) to be producing in 2009.

Ethanol (IMO) is a farm subsidy program disguised as green energy.

JMNSHO

Tim

http://www.nevadageothermal.com/s/Home.asp

NGP's Blue Mountain geothermal site has a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) for up to 35 MW of Geothermal Power with Nevada Power Company
"The signing of this PPA for an initial geothermal power plant at our Blue Mountain project is a significant step for Nevada Geothermal...We expect there will be additional MW capacity at Blue Mountain for future development and we are also exploring growth potential of our three other geothermal sites in Nevada and Oregon." ...Brian Fairbank, P. Eng, President and CEO of Nevada Geothermal Power Inc.
NGP is well funded and has no debt
Generation of electricity from geothermal reservoirs is economically viable
Currently the state of Nevada has 14 geothermal power plants totaling 277 megawatts of power capacity
Electricity production from renewable sources is expected to triple in the coming decade
Federal Renewable Energy Production Tax Credit (US1.9 cents per kWh) has been expanded to geothermal.

Nevada Geothermal Power's flagship project is the 100% owned Blue Mountain property, in northern Nevada. Development driling is underway at the Blue Mountain geothermal site, the production test data from the wells will be used to complete a feasibility study for an initial 30 MW to 35 MW geothermal power plant; which is enough to supply power to 24,000 homes.

Just in, this is timely. ;-)

Tim

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070305/0222827.html

State of Nevada's Public Utilities Commission Approves Nevada Geothermal Power's Power Purchase Agreement for the Faulkner 1 Power Plant for Geothermal Energy
Monday March 5, 9:15 am ET

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(MARKET WIRE)--Mar 5, 2007 -- Nevada Geothermal Power Inc. (NGP) (CDNX:NGP.V - News) (OTC BB:NGLPF.OB - News) today announced that the Nevada Public Utilities Commission has approved on February 8, 2007, the 20-year Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Nevada Power Company, a subsidiary of Sierra Pacific Resources. Under the contract, the 'Faulkner 1 Power Plant' at Blue Mountain will supply between 18.75 MW and 31.25 MW (net) of electrical power; expected to come on line in 2009.

"Since this is the "Canada - Microcaps" board I will use NGP.v ticker."

Sorry about that, Tim. I had followed a link over from the Renewable Energy board and then posted my comments on the wrong board.

I'm a strong believer in the concept that geothermal has tremendous potential especially in the long range, but so far it looks like investment in that area has been minimal. Some argue that the US is not well situated for geothermal, but I personally think the opportunities have mostly been ignored so far. We shall see.

Good hunting and thanks for bringing these stocks to the attention of Fooldom.
Sorry about that, Tim. I had followed a link over from the Renewable Energy board and then posted my comments on the wrong board.

I'm a strong believer in the concept that geothermal has tremendous potential especially in the long range, but so far it looks like investment in that area has been minimal. Some argue that the US is not well situated for geothermal, but I personally think the opportunities have mostly been ignored so far. We shall see.

Good hunting and thanks for bringing these stocks to the attention of Fooldom.

No problem Paul, I suspected that is what had happened.

I find there is a strong dislike in the US and especially at "the Fool" for "penny stocks" that is not as obvious in Canada. I can't imagine why as some of my best gains (and worst losses) have been from that area. }};-)

With convenient, cheap coal and oil to run power plants for so long, the need for geothermal just had a hard time attracting attention. I'm hopeful that will change and if it does NGP may not be a penny stock down the road. ;-)

Regards

Tim
On robtv, the player comes up, but it doesn't play.
Hitting the Help button, doesn't.

Is there anything that was said you'd care to pass on? I'm unable to get RobTV to play most of the time.

jp
On robtv, the player comes up, but it doesn't play.
Hitting the Help button, doesn't.

Is there anything that was said you'd care to pass on? I'm unable to get RobTV to play most of the time.

jp

jp,

Are you high speed or dialup?

If you are highspeed, there shouldn't be a problem, perhaps you need to install something? It just uses the windows player.

Having said that, all of the pertinent info is on their website at:

Incidently, RobTV is since yesterday BNN (Business News Network).

http://www.bnn.ca/

I think they only keep interview links up for about a week.

Tim
Are you high speed or dialup?

If you are highspeed, there shouldn't be a problem, perhaps you need to install something? It just uses the windows player.

Hi-speed. And I listen and watch on my computer - from several sources - each and every day. Only robtv is unwatchable by me.

Having said that, all of the pertinent info is on their website at:

Negative, unfortunately; that just takes me back to the robtv player - which, like I said, comes up but just sits there and doesn't play.
And the Help button, isn't. Which is strange.

Really unfortunate. I get the robtv daily email, just to see what I can't see. Lotsa stuff; none of it accessible to someone who can access everything else.

jp