Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Nic asks:

<<Since you guys answered my last two questions so quickly and accurately, I'm going to press my luck and post another.

I work for a startup company, and like most, we have golden handcuffs (stock options).. Is it possible to buy my stock options, and put them into a Roth IRA, so that I do not have to pay capital gains on that stock when/if I sell it.

This is a private company, so I'm not sure how this works. Anybody know of any places which would allow this?>>

No, you cannot transfer shares of stock to an Roth IRA unless they are part of a rollover from a traditional IRA. And no, you cannot put them into a traditional IRA unless they are part of a rollover from another traditional IRA or from an employer's qualified retirement plan. Bottom line: Unless you're transferring stocks from your employer's retirement plan (and you're not), you cannot use your stock options for this purpose.

Regards….Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.