Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I caught the USAC Midgets on ESPN2 last night. Dave Steele won the first feature, and came from the rear of the inverted field to win the second feature and thus a bonus of $50,000. This compared to regular first place money in this series of $2,000 - 5,000.

It was really nice to see a driver/owner/crew so completely overwhelmed by the money they had won. It meant a lot more to them than a NASCAR or Gran Prix team banking another $1 million or so.

Being in the business of selling racing parts, I was particularly happy to hear, in the pre-race interviews, when asked what they would do with $50,000, nearly all the drivers mentioned paying racing bills. It reminded me of Dale Earnhardt at the NASCAR banquet after he had won his seventh championship. In making his acceptance/thanks you speech he remembered to mention the guy with the parts trailer who had let him run a tab many years before.

SB (hope some of his customers will win $50,000)
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.