Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 24
Nice try to sell all the loosers like Yahoo at the bottom to make your tables look nice.

I guess this statement just illustrates some of the difficulties of running an online portfolio out in full view of the community. If and when you buy a stock, you catch hell because you bought the wrong company or at the wrong price. If and when you sell a stock, you catch hell because you sold at the wrong price or for the wrong reasons. No wonder there has been so much turnover in the management of the Rule Maker portfolio recently ... I'd get tired of dealing with the endless bashing, too.

Let's all take a deep breath, and remember the following facts:

1) All historical transactions for the Rule Maker portfolio are available from the following link:

http://www.fool.com/portfolios/RuleMaker/RuleMakerTransactionhistory.htm

This list includes everything from the initial buys of MSFT and PFE, the purchase of JDSU at $100.75 and subsequent sale at $21.61, and all the averaging down with YHOO. If you think this is no big deal, just go to any mutual fund website and look for something similar. With the possible exception of OpenFund (http://funds.metamarkets.com/openfund/index.jhtml), I think you will be horribly disappointed.

2) If you are interested in the historical performance of the portfolio on a year by year basis, that is available from the following link:

http://www.fool.com/portfolios/PortfolioQuickFacts.htm

Regardless of what stocks are in the portfolio now and how they have performed, you can see that the portfolio returned 30.14% in 1998 (slightly ahead of the S&P 500), 41.50% in 1999 (almost double the S&P 500), and -35.58% in 2000 (drastically below the S&P 500).

Yes, we could sell all the companies in the port that are currently in the red to make our "tables look nice", but it wouldn't affect these numbers one way or the other. They are what they are ... end of story.

Regardless of how baseless these claims of dishonesty or "hidden agendas" may be, I think it may be worthwhile to do something to cut down on the noise on the message boards about this subject. You know, if you repeat something often enough, some people begin to treat it as truth (and if don't believe that one, then I guess you have been oblivious to American politics for the last twenty years). Therefore, I am going to suggest to the powers that be that we add another table to the portfolio daily numbers section that lists those stocks that are no longer in the portfolio, along with the initial cost basis and subsequent sale price for all to see. That way, we can finally put to rest all of these charges of "window dressing" and what not.

Just my rambling two cents.

the LanceMan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.