Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1

As Rebecca said, Temper is a good service, which indeed is the best way to buy a single share. However, many stocks allow you to "buy-in" for a certain amount - usually around $250. These can be found at or other transfer agents. Also, many companies will allow you to invest directly from them (Duke, Procter & Gamble).

My first DRIP was Duke Energy. I still have around 121 shares with them. They are a great company with a decent div'd. From my limited experience -- energy (power & oil/gas), financials, REITs tend to pay the best dividends. Again, that is from my limited experience.

The site that Rebecca pointed to is probably the best listing of all stocks that do DRIP plans. The site will tell you what fees are associated with the plan. Who the transfer agent is. And what the criteria for participation is.

Good luck to you and your nephew

- Major
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.