Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, a small portion of our compound (near the mini-mart) was recently designated a "no cover zone" -- I guess so people don't mess up their hair while walking from their building to get Dunkin Donuts in the morning or Subway at lunch? What exactly does this mean - does it mean that you remove your cover when you enter it? Do you salute if you are covered and someone else is not? The base POD note that announced it wasn't very specific.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
My experience has been that no cover zones also mean no salute zones, though I don't know exactly what (if any) the Air Force Instruction says.

I do vividly remember having to report to the Navy ROTC commander at Georgia Tech for something (project of some kind) and I went in a reported like I was taught (stop at the desk and salute while reporting) and the CAPT said gruffly "We don't salute indoors in the Navy."

Personally I think designating a "no cover zone" for other than safety reasons is bogus. I take it from your tone you might agree.

- Tom
No. of Recommendations: 1
My experience has been that no cover zones also mean no salute zones, though I don't know exactly what (if any) the Air Force Instruction says.

That's what it has meant anywhere I was stationed that had a "No cover zone". The Pentagon's Center Court is designated a "No Cover Zone". No hats, no salutes required.

Now, forget to wear your cover or render a proper salute outside the walls, and your experience may differ. =8^)

HockeyPhool
The Pentagon has a 5 acre "No Hat - No Salute Zone" (that's "cover" to you Naval-types), called the courtyard. That is the area at the center of the building inside the A-ring. There's another No Hat - No Salute Zone leading from one of the exits, across the bridge to the Pentagon Athletic Club (better known as the POAC).

The reason for the zones is that people routinely cross these areas, especially the courtyard, and you don't have to remember to take your hat with you when you leave the office. Going across the courtyard is the shortest route if you've got to go from one side of the building to the other. The courtyard also has a cafe in the center (used to be called Ground Zero Cafe) and that's one of the smoking zones. If folks had to salute out there, there'd be much confusion whether you have to stop and salute or not.

Essentially, we think of it as if we were indoors. Saves a lot of hassle and keeps things simple.

BTW, while the search & rescue was going on at the Pentagon in September and October, the area out in the parking lot around the Red Cross Compound where there was food and rest, was also so designated.

Enjoy the break!
Usually no-cover zones are no saluting areas. The base officers must be tired of saluting while hitting subway for lunch.

Joe