Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
"The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference." - Richard Dawkins

“human beings function better if they are deceived by their genes into thinking that there is a disinterested objective morality binding upon them, which all should obey” - Michael Ruse

Agree or disagree?
Print the post Back To Top
Agree with the first one. The universe doesn't care, or even notice, that we exist. Evolution has shaped a lot of our behavior. That's pretty much it.

Disagree with the second one, at least to some extent. Evolution has shaped our genes to enable us to survive better. That includes instinctive behavior that furthers the propagation of the clan/species. I wouldn't describe that as a "disinterested objective morality", but I suppose one could loosely interpret that as such. For example, "don't kill one of your clan because we need each other to survive". That's pretty universal, but isn't really an objective morality (at least I don't think so).
Mostly agree with the first, don't agree that the second has been shown to be true.
Agree with the first one. The universe doesn't care, or even notice, that we exist. Evolution has shaped a lot of our behavior. That's pretty much it.

But for Dawkins, as exemplified in the quote, it entails there is no good or evil. Do you agree with that also?
No objective good or evil. There is nothing inherently good or evil in biology (Dawkins' area). Things just enhance or detract from the ability to survive.
No objective good or evil. There is nothing inherently good or evil in biology (Dawkins' area). Things just enhance or detract from the ability to survive.

So once again (with feeling), if no objective evil, then your opinion of God's morality is just that.

At least you are consistent with your prior conviction that God does not exist. If he does not exist, then there can't be objective moral obligations/values.

But I find it hard to believe that you really believe there are not objective moral evils. That there is ultimately nothing wrong with rape, torture, etc. That it's just your opinion that they are undesirable.

That certainly is the logical conclusion of your worldview, but it doesn't seem to fit reality.
But I find it hard to believe that you really believe there are not objective moral evils.

Existing on their own? No, there aren't.

Given my moral postulates, I can then determine right and wrong. Your moral postulates may differ, and you'll reach differing conclusions (possibly). That is a point of discussion when those come into conflict.

That it's just your opinion that they are undesirable.

Actually, they work against flourishing of the species. So, if one has the postulate that human flourishing should be encouraged, then we can objectively say those things are undesirable. But the postulates are not objective (they never are, pretty much by definition).
No. of Recommendations: 2
But I find it hard to believe that you really believe there are not objective moral evils.

I really believe there are not objective moral evils.
I REALLY BELIEVE THERE ARE NOT OBJECTIVE MORAL EVILS.
I REALLY BELIEVE THERE ARE NOT OBJECTIVE MORAL EVILS.

That there is ultimately nothing wrong with rape, torture, etc. That it's just your opinion that they are undesirable.

Oh, FFS. I absolutely believe there is something wrong with rape, torture, etc. I also believe that all moral opinions are just opinions.