Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
No idea of his pension, etc but SS(I know it wouldn't be full retirement age) and SS disability are out there and can get tied to Medicare. My experience with SS for this was that they were pretty helpful when that almost happened.

Thanks for the tip; I asked Mom about it and found out they'd gone for early SS on him already and it should start January 1; so that's next on my plate to dig up information on. I think he had to do SS because of some pension rules, but again that's third hand from Mom so I'll have to call the benefits office myself.

We are in a bit of a pickle; we don't have POA on him yet because he wasn't ever "good enough" to sign it over between hospital stays - if his bank had actually let him sign it over any of the days he was out of the hospital, it would have made me seriously question their ethics he was that compromised.

So on my current list:

1) SS/Medicare info (thanks!)

2) Power of Attorney process

3) Possible placement somewhere, either temporary or permanent. If it turns out to be temporary, then I have a) a list of safety-minded house modifications we'll have to perform before he can come home and b) a rotation of in-home help to set up.

4) Insurance Wrangling

#3 is honestly the most stressful, because he's still in the hospital and we are on a day-by-day, plus Mom is...not the best at retaining information or asking questions. Little Sis and I are both "essential personnel" last week and this week at work, so we are trying to help as much as we can via text and phone.

impolite
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.