Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
No, if by a 'work plan' you mean a 401K. 401K contributions are not included in the taxable income on your W-2 and therefore can not be deducted again.

Actually it sounds as if they under the threshold allowing them to file form 8880 (<$50,000 married/jointly) but are in the phase out range. Line 2 of 8880 allows you to deduct a portion of "Elective deferrals to a 401(k) or other qualified employer plan, voluntary employee contributions, and 501(c)(18) plan contributions for 2002." These are entered on Line 49 of your 1040 - after you complete the form.

If you're trying to scrape together a few more deductions look in this area of your 1040 and make sure and review any itemized deductions, though with your salary and no mortgage the standard is probably the best.

Not a tax expert, just like numbers.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.