Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
No, long term care insurance premiums are not an adjustment to income for self-employed persons. However they are deductible as medical expenses on Schedule A subject to the 7.5% floor. There are limits to the amount that can be deducted depending on your age. For instance for 2002 you could deduct $240 if you are age 40 or less, $450 age 41-50, $900 age 51-70, $2390 age 61-70 and $2990 age 71 and over. I don't know if this is increased for 2003 but the adjustment for self employed health insurance deduction is increased to 100% of qualified premiums for 2003 and beyond.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.