Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Experts say Americans WILL have to cut back on meat for the US to meet Biden's climate change goal as president faces pressure to come clean on how he actually plans to slash greenhouse emissions

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9517669/Experts-say...

The Greenies vision of the future. You'll be eating faux burgers made of soy, scarfing down artificial bacon and veggie sausages ....... and steaks will be off the menu.

All those cow farts have got to go! Same for pigs. Too much methane. Too much poop. Too much need for crops - that you should be eating instead of feeding them to cows and pigs.

Welcome to Biden's vegetarian 'low carbon, anti-warming' society. It's 'good for you'.

t
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Seems like you have a beef with the idea!

I went to a steak house last weekend, their specialty was dry age Wagyu Kobe steak raised and processed at the owners nearby ranch. With a starting price of $35/oz, I had the salmon and indulged fizzy froggy water instead.

I have to say that the progress in plant based meat alternatives has been quite impressive. The ground beef if nearly as good as the real in terms of texture, When put in things like chili and tacos it is virtually undetectable. Fake chicken, masked by nuggets and mock fish have been around a while. The only problem with fake ground beef is its price, it being slightly more expensive than the real thing. A finger on the scale to throw the balance and I have no doubt sales would surge and awareness would grow.

Farmers can also do their part. The simple one being to go free range. Eliminate the mud pens and spread the cattle out across green carbon offsetting pastures. Move to cattle breeds that can tolerate a more varied diet without as much flatulence. All nicely organic, sustainable but much more expensive.

I have e no doubt that greenhouse emissions from livestock can be cut substantially. I also think that Sunday rib roast is not going to go away, It will just cost more.. Maybe Kobe Wagyu prices

Aside: Wife once bought a regular burger and fries from a McD's drive through. She was half through the burger (while diving) before she realized that the burger had no patty in it. Tastes the same she said, but not as chewy.
No. of Recommendations: 0
As meat alternatives grow in volume their costs will likely fall. Then they will likely be more competitive.

Keep in mind the cost differential. Grain goes for around $0.10/lb vs $1/lb for most meat on the hoof. The margin to play with is huge.

Grass fed beef may be more economical but it does nothing for methane emissions and most like the flavor of grain fed beef better.
" Eliminate the mud pens and spread the cattle out across green carbon offsetting pastures. Move to cattle breeds that can tolerate a more varied diet without as much flatulence. All nicely organic, sustainable but much more expensive."

Out in west TX, you can have 1 or 2 cows per acre....and in some places, 1 cow per 2 or 3 acres since there isn't much to eat.......

There are no 10,000 acre ranches full of nice green grass six inches high.....to handle 10,000 cows a week.....

Feedlots can stuff a lot of cows quickly to add a lot of pounds - and the cows don't burn a lot of energy in the process of getting that food.

Free range chickens are a joke. What, 20 min a day of 'being out in the yard' and that makes them 'free range'. There's not enough farmland for a million roaming chickens a month....or is in 10 million a month needed. Or more.

t.
Grass fed beef may be more economical but it does nothing for methane emissions

Yes this is generally true. I was thinking of mixed use land which would could include CO2 reducing vegetation and trees. But I would not advocate letting the cows lose in the orchard. Bad things happen.

There are a few ways to reduce emissions output in cattle. The obvious one is to add organisms to their diet, that better process food source so as not to produce as much gas. Think of this as the equivalent Beano for humans. Studies have shown that something as simple as seaweed in the diet could actually do this. (Surf and Turf in one).

There is also great deal of variability in emissions output in between breeds. Just as we have optimized milk and meat yield, it is also possible through selective breeding to optimize emissions

Going way futuristic. grow beef in the lab, who needs a cow. Scientists are trying to grow hearts, liver, kidneys, skin in the lab from genetic material as a source of transplant material. Why not directly grow the grow sirloin and tenderloin muscles with the benefit of no undesirable cuts.
Out in west TX, you can have 1 or 2 cows per acre

And they are not much of a problem, the acreage and micro environment offsets their output.

The cow factories are the problem. Think of the sight just west of Abilene, sheds and pens packed with cattle being fattened on grain. These are the main source of Texas's problems. The legislature has passed regulations on there sites and you will no doubt have seen road signs along the highway that point out the location "Cattle waste product" disposal center. It is a start. But more is needed to reduce methane the output, be it dietary, breeding or other.

Chickens of the "cluck cluck" version are not a problem, its the ones who believe that the sky is falling in that need attention
No. of Recommendations: 7
Less meat in a diet means less protein in the body. Less protein = less testosterone --> more girly-men, less drive to accomplish anything. An easier population to control.
It is all about modifying the population's behavior to make controlling them easier.
Long term results...big payoff to our new overlords.
Meat does indeed help the old man. Tuna, oysters are even better
Unfortunately alcohol and processed work the other way
No. of Recommendations: 1
Less meat in a diet means less protein in the body. Less protein = less testosterone --> more girly-men, less drive to accomplish anything.

Yes and no. Here is a story of a man from my Alma Mater (the only reason I even know about him) who is a vegan Olympic weightlifter. A big paradox if there ever was one. FWIW, he was the only USA representative in weight lifting for 3 straight Olympics.

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/vegan-diet-american-o...

So he basically has 2 full time jobs: weight lifting and dieting. It is really hard to get all your essential amino acids (protein building blocks) from a vegan diet. It can be done but it becomes a full time job. And is probably the reason you see so many skinny/sickly vegans.

JLC
I recently ran across this idea.

https://www.agweb.com/news/livestock/beef/feeding-cows-seawe....

"New research from the University of California, Davis found injecting seaweed into beef cattle’s diets could reduce methane emissions by as much as 82%."

On the topic of Kobe steak, I once visited Kobe, Japan, and yes, I had to get it there! I was planning on paying whatever the asking price was knowing that it'd be high. I got lucky. Being that it was lunch time, there was a special, cheaper price. I paid around $80-90 for the meal. I was alone, and the chef was cooking on the grill in the front of me as we had a conversation. Best Steak I ever had!

TMFEdyboom223
"I recently ran across this idea.

https://www.agweb.com/news/livestock/beef/feeding-cows-seawe.......

"New research from the University of California, Davis found injecting seaweed into beef cattle’s diets could reduce methane emissions by as much as 82%.""

**************************************************************************************

The article is not clear if the net results have taken into account CO2 generated by the
collection, storage, maintenance of storage facilities, shipping and any cleanup required
in the seaweed cattle feeding areas.

Howie52
The devil of these studies is always in the details and unintended consequences.