Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
No offense to any ofthe docs, but when I was in high school and worked for pay during the summer, I paid social security taxes --- AND there was no question that I was a student (even listed student on income tax return). Earned income (possibly above some de minimis amount, Pixy or Phil?) requires payment of social security, unless the employee falls into some specially exempt class (generally one which is not covered by Social Security -- federal workers [but maybe not any more, Phil?], certain county employees, members of Congress, IIRC, etc.), but I am not aware of any general "student" exemption.

I am on a postdoctoral fellowship and my stipend is not subject to FICA. I think this is the sort of thing the previous poster had in mind.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.