Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 16
No one is "appeasing" Manchin. What the hell do you think the party can do about him -- fire him? He was elected, and there's not a damn thing that can be done to force him to vote in a way he doesn't want to vote.

I find him disgusting -- he's more concerned about his career than about the country, and isn't much better than a Republican in his positions -- but it's outside the power of the party to do anything about him -- or Sinema, for that matter. If more Democrats had been supported in more states and we had a more dependable majority in the Senate, Democrats would actually be "in control" of that body. As it is, and as someone in a thread above stated so accurately, we only have 48 REAL DEMOCRATS in the Senate, and the Republicans have a dependable 50 on almost every issue.

I keep hearing from you and others that "the Democrats" are somehow at fault because one or two jerks ran as "Democrats," got elected, and yet don't support the policies of the party to which they belong. That is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY and not the fault of the party they're defying. And neither you nor anyone else who keeps making that unjust complaint about "the Democrats" has provided a single suggestion of what the hell can be done about it. Without Manchin, McConnell gets the leadership and gets to decide what bills can even come to the floor.

I frankly think you should explain what brilliant strategy would force Manchin to support the Democratic Party's goals and vote with the majority of Democrats for the policies implementing those goals or you should maybe just stop bitching about it. Because if YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT CAN BE DONE TO MAKE HIM STOP OBSTRUCTING THE PARTY, I'M GUESSING NO ONE ELSE DOES, EITHER.

It would be lovely, wouldn't it, if someone had something on him to blackmail him? As long as it were, say, someone named "Chuck." One wonders, from time to time, if someone named "Mitch" might have more information than you or I.

I sure as hell don't.

SLL
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.