Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I own my condo. It's initial value was 1/3 of my assets but it is in a swanky beach hot spot and rents year round or how much ever I want for 5,000 a month. Will pay for itself in year 5 or 6, around the bend.

Also, I have guaranteed income until I die of 70- 80,000/year. Not including capital gains or withdrawals from my 650,000 liquid assets. I am single. Happy that way. I'm 60.

I still have a lot of cash and plenty to keep investing as I've been every where I want to go, so far, and done most everything I've wanted to do. I've had some BAD times but I came out ok somehow. Through my union 100% Health Care Coverage, negligible deductible.

It sounds good right? I'm scared. I'm scared I've overlooked some run away inflation era looming or I DON"T KNOW!

What can I or should I do or go from here with my assets. Am I missing something obvious!!!

My son is disabled and works but low income earner. But his father takes care of him. And will leave hima nice inheritance which I'd like to do too. But nothing overboard. He's a simple guy. Small needs and wants. Inexpensive lifestyle. Good wife. That might not last but it should, his dad's almost 70 and not in excellent health.

My mom lived to be 90 and he mom almost 100 her 2 sisters 103, 104. That I don't think about but just throwing in everything. Am I missing something necessary? Fun? Or advantageous to my son?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
You don't say where you beach property is. There is this little issue in the world named Climate Change. At age 60 you likely won't be bothered by rising sea levels directly, but storms are another thing. My general view is any property with a salt water beach South of say Boston and East of Denver has a significant store risk. Is your property itself immune to a 10 to 15 foot store surge? And is the local infrastructure - things like grocery stores, utilities, and emergency services going to survive/recover so people will want to rent?
No. of Recommendations: 7
"You don't say where you beach property is. There is this little issue in the world named Climate Change. At age 60 you likely won't be bothered by rising sea levels directly, but storms are another thing. My general view is any property with a salt water beach South of say Boston and East of Denver has a significant store risk. Is your property itself immune to a 10 to 15 foot store surge? And is the local infrastructure - things like grocery stores, utilities, and emergency services going to survive/recover so people will want to rent?"

I knew some folks who had shore-line property overlooking Lake Erie - until storms washed
their homes into Lake Erie.

Howie52
Course, those storms had nothing to do with climate change. Just the regular climate for
that area and time for the wave action to work into the land.

Back in the day I think they called it weather and erosion.
No. of Recommendations: 5
You don't say where you beach property is. There is this little issue in the world named Climate Change.

To some, apparently, a very little issue.

In his speech to the "Climate Change Summit", then President Barack Obama said...

No nation, however large or small, wealthy or poor, can escape the impact of climate change. Rising sea levels threaten every coastline. More powerful storms and floods threaten every continent.

This had such a profound effect on the Obamas that after leaving office in 2017, they purchased a 6,892 (8,200 with garage and storage spaces) square foot villa on Martha's Vineyard for $11.75MM, sitting on nearly 30 acres, all of which is...and I'm not making this up.....at 0 ft elevation above sea level.

Clearly, this couple if VERY concerned about climate change and are putting their money where their mouth is to prove it!

https://www.sealevel.info/Obama_seaside_villa_Marthas_Vineya...
https://vineyardgazette.com/news/2019/12/04/president-obama-...
https://www.energy.gov/videos/president-barack-obama-un-clim...

Pure unrefined naked liberal hypocrisy.

Gotta LOVE IT!!!!

BruceM
GREAT QUESTIONS!!!!!! Yes. 15 th floor condo. Not directly facing the brunt of the ocean onslaught. Not in a storm zone of any kind. Wow. Yeah, good community to rebuild and you know what, you're right. It probably will have no affect on me. HOWEVER that you brought it up makes me re think my TRUST. It's a great income earner and I told my son hang on to it. But you know, with climate change if things go the way they are, probably not good advice nor maybe even viable. Maybe I better enjoy and sell and leave him the cash to head for higher ground or a colony on Mars. Thank you very much! Truly!!!
No. of Recommendations: 3
I agree the 15th floor is not going to get flooded with surge. But don't be too certain about your building not be devastated. Hurricane Camille in the late 60's flattened more than a few multi story buildings.

Buildings are designed not to withstand the unexpected, but rather to meet cost targets. The World Trade Centers in New York City were designed to withstand an air plane strike - but not a fire hot enough to remove the temper of the structural steel.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I disagree with what you tried to make as political points.

Agreeing with global warming and still choosing to live in a (currently) nice area doesn't mean hypocrisy.

Clearly, this couple if VERY concerned about climate change and are putting their money where their mouth is to prove it!

When you own a place for a year or a decade you take on the risks of weather changing due to global warming -
Whether it be high winds fueling fires in CA, Twisters in places that never experienced them and floods in areas that never had such saturated soil.

It does not mean Global Warming Doesn't Exist.

nag
actually, from current weather patterns, we are all at risk
My reply was directed at BruceCM

who said
In his speech to the "Climate Change Summit", then President Barack Obama said...

No nation, however large or small, wealthy or poor, can escape the impact of climate change. Rising sea levels threaten every coastline. More powerful storms and floods threaten every continent.

I wonder if we will all be gone if you're my age before the whole ramifications of global warming are in full gear. But ignoring the here and now doesn't help mankind.

I just wanted to point out Global Warming is Real and I'm concerned for future generations.

nag
nag

----------------------

And not just any risk, but <cue the Darth Vader theme music> an existential risk.

However, we should eat drink and be merry for whatever little time we have left because as you know we have already hopelessly passed through about fifty point of no return predictions by the warmists. Some from decades ago, so we may very well be near the end of our very existence.
" nag

----------------------

And not just any risk, but <cue the Darth Vader theme music> an existential risk.

However, we should eat drink and be merry for whatever little time we have left because as you know we have already hopelessly passed through about fifty point of no return predictions by the warmists. Some from decades ago, so we may very well be near the end of our very existence. "

****************************************************************************************

Well, the day after tomorrow is continually reset. Much like the next bear market - which is
always predicted but never shows up until only one person is predicting the drop.

Howie52
The future is quite unpredictable - until a century or two later. Then everything can be
revised to fit narratives of the future.
Howie52
The future is quite unpredictable - until a century or two later. Then everything can be
revised to fit narratives of the future.

----------------------

Yogi Berra — 'It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.'
How can everybody talk about global change all the time and watch that Greta girl jet set it show demonstrate her opinion and ego and say that no one talks or thinks of it. It's all you hear!!!!!!
Actually I'm quite certain some other things need attention in this world as well.

It's like a snobby Austrian chick told me America doesn't do anything about electric cars. For one thing she has a small country with 60 mill and public transpo plus walkability but I asked her HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF TESLA????

Everyone wants to be the hero, pat themselves on the back for one of the only ones who tyruly care when it's a TRENDING TOPic of the CENTURY
old on Howie, who told you Climate change was going to lead to the end of humanity? WHAT? HOW? It might wipe out Miami, no great lose IMHO but i'm sure there will be adequate notice and no ppl will be there. So we're talking land loss right? Earth is coming out of it's last Greatest Ice Age and the extinctions of species happen in cold. When the earth has gone through its warmer phases it has been good, life thrived. Those poor people that live on the poles are so happy to have land grow food. F - ice and snow.

Could one human being other than me not make it into the end of the world?

It's like Californians that build housing communities where they shouldnt and after every 12 years there is a drought and fires and those house often get loss. Who says every inch of earth is ours to bask on?

The sky is not falling. And the fact is, like the pandemic, it's unprecedented and exactly how things will play out is NOT POSSIBLE PREDICT with tremendous accuracy. Need a crystal ball for that. Walmart sold out.
Howie are you really young? You word your reply like my 28year old son talks, "There's this little thing they call Climate Change." Like i don't know there's only one world. I think it was MY generation that discovered the issue and informed his. They were not born with the knowledge. Just an attitude.
No. of Recommendations: 7
Agreeing with global warming and still choosing to live in a (currently) nice area doesn't mean hypocrisy.

What does "Nice Area" have to do with anything? The issue is publicly proclaiming the risk of a rising sea level and then living in a house that is at greatest risk of the proclaimed rising sea level. So either Obama doesn't believe in what he proclaims as truth (i.e. he's a lying hypocrit) or he does believe it but doesn't care...IOW, not too bright. (I feel like I'm explaining the punch line of a joke)

It does not mean Global Warming Doesn't Exist.

Nor does it mean it exists due to human behavior.

There has not been a single day in the history of this planet that the climate was NOT in a state of change. Climate change is a certainty and absolute, due to a multitude of geologic and planetary variables to include shifting tectonic plates, changing ocean currents and jet streams, not to mention slight changes in the angle of the Earth on its axis, wobble in the earth's rotation or the Earth's distance from the sun, along with cycles of solar output and the gradual shift of the earth's magnetic poles. Humans have absolutely NO effect on these variables. If Earth climate cycles continue as they have over the past tens of millions of years, the Earth will warm from the cool cycle it has been rising from for the past 20,000 years, whether humans are living on the surface of the planet or not. Human production of C02 is likely increasing the warming trend rate, but by how much is not known, only speculated, mostly by university based scientists who are paid by the research grants they can generate....and research grants gravitate to those who make the most noise and speak in the most dire terms. Saying the evidence probably doesn't support human created C02 as dangerous to our future for thousands of years and natural cycles will overwhelm it as an underlying cause, will not get that university any grant money.

BruceM
Just chiming in because I have a pet peeve with the climate debate.

Does anyone know what the percentage of CO2 is in the atmosphere right now? Do you know what the "ideal" percentage of CO2 is for plants to grow properly?

People are so certain that we are adding CO2 at a catastrophic rate that they never ask the question of whether we have enough CO2 in the first place. They simply assume that if mankind is having an impact on nature that is must be bad and/or unnatural. But we are part of nature too.

Things are rarely as simple as they seem at first glance...and certainly they rarely fit the narrative of politics.

JMO

Karl

Rule Breaker and Premium Home Fool
Does anyone know what the percentage of CO2 is in the atmosphere right now? Do you know what the "ideal" percentage of CO2 is for plants to grow properly?

There is a "Climate Change" board. why don't you folks take your discussion there?

CNC
They simply assume that if mankind is having an impact on nature that is must be bad and/or unnatural. But we are part of nature too.- CMFvonFool

---------------------

Absolutely true. But you seldom see that expressed. It's like there exists a pristine, benevolent nature, then something alien from the outside, ie humans, is invading and ruining it.

Every organism has an impact on its environment as do we. It's natural.
No. of Recommendations: 4
There is a "Climate Change" board. why don't you folks take your discussion there?

Because its full of hippies who have no sense of reality, expect the world for free, consider humankind to be evil and are stoned most of the time.

BruceM
"There is a "Climate Change" board. why don't you folks take your discussion there?

Because its full of hippies who have no sense of reality, expect the world for free, consider humankind to be evil and are stoned most of the time.

BruceM "

As Mr. Walter Kelly said,
"I have met the enemy and he is us."

Howie52
Known for evil thoughts and deeds which only the Shadow knows.

And is known to be pretty happy about the whole kit and caboodle.