No. of Recommendations: 2
It will be a long winter for millions of Americans who won’t be able to head to the ski slopes or sunnier climes for a vacation.

Some 33 million Americans, many of them millennials, are financially tapped out and will stay home this winter, according to a new WalletHub survey. Indeed, some hoping to travel this holiday season are still paying last year’s debts, according to another study, conducted by NerdWallet.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/09/many-cant-afford-to-take-vacat...

Well, that never was my problem. Paid off the credit cards every month......for 5 decades.....

t
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<No. of Recommendations: 0
It will be a long winter for millions of Americans who won’t be able to head to the ski slopes or sunnier climes for a vacation.>>

MILLIONS will discover Green Vacationing by STAYING HOME rather than jetting about on eco vacations and such!

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 2
"MILLIONS will discover Green Vacationing by STAYING HOME rather than jetting about on eco vacations and such!"

WHen I was a kid, the family used to go tent camping.....we had a 'station wagon' and loaded it up.....went to state parks and similar and paid a few bucks for a campsite. No electricity or water hookups. It was 'running water'.,..grab bucket, run to faucet down the street, fill bucket, walk back to campsite. No internet, no computer games...... oh, and a bit later, I had a 'transistor radio' complete with shortwave and listened in on SW back then when it was popular for a while at night - using an earphone.....

We went swimming and hiking.....and sightseeing in the parks..... did travel around the country a bit.....

My first commercial airplane ride was when 21 for a job interview.....when I graduating college....

Did take a short train ride once - maybe 20 miles and back.......as a kid....

Now? If you don't leave the country or fly 1000 it's not much of a vacation for the Millennials ...and follow on generations....

t.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Remember, the surveys are being run and the stories are being written by the
same people who can't seem to find enough scratch to rub between their
dragging knuckles.

Do you believe they are actually doing real research or real surveys?

Howie52
Beginning to doubt what everyone is sure about.
t:

As one old fart to another... YES.

Camping trips were always the way, pretty much, except for a couple of BIG driving trips, one taking in the eastern half of the USA out to the Mississippi. Camping was great, first in tents and later in leanto's, and a real FAMILY gig. Kids all pitched in with helping with everything, cooking, cleaning, etc. cooking in foil or over the grill. They also all learned how to build a "one match" camp fire from available stuff like twigs and split wood -- no starter fluid, either. Hikes, swimming, sitting around the fire, and turning in early because we were tired from a lot of healthy activity all day.

No TV, no internet, no obnoxious anything really. (Though I did later bring along a little QRP rig and hunk of speaker wire to operate evenings on the car battery! DX loved the VT reports!)

Yup, sounds like our family vacations! We discovered the beauty of Vermont and Maine and came back year after year.

We finally retired here and love it. One child and family live nearby, too.

Vermonter
Well, that never was my problem. Paid off the credit cards every month......for 5 decades.....

t

I've never paid a cent in credit card interest and my Discover card pays me 1% of my total purchases. Have a contractor who has been doing various concrete related projects on my house. This man is paying $600 to $700 a month credit card interest. He'll be working til he drops.