No. of Recommendations: 1
Nobody backs up their computers anymore because it just isn't feasible. How do you back up even a 2TB disk? Approximately 8 hours per TB. So, about 16 hours. Unless you want to verify; then add another 16 hours. Don't get me started on "cloud" backups. That's a joke. I cannot imagine how long it would take to upload 1TB.

And these days, 2TB isn't rare in a home computer. I'm seeing 4TB, 6TB, and 8TB desktops advertised all the time.

And people get sloppy. After you've spent an entire weekend doing a backup once a month for 2 years...and never needed to restore anything...you'll soon stop doing backups.

Nonsense. Sure it's feasible. I have about 600GB of stuff on my computer. I have two external 2TB drives. So each drive can store up to three copies of the whole kit and kaboodle. I do a full system backup every weekend, Saturday night, and it takes about ten hours while I sleep (mostly). I keep one drive at my son's house, and every month or two I swap the drives.

Everybody has experienced a total crash at some point. So there's no excuse for getting sloppy. Do you lock your door when you leave your house, even though nobody has broken in in 20 years?

I used to shut down my computer every night, and I'd get a disk crash every couple of years. Now I keep the computer on all the time. I just disconnect it physically from the internet when I'm not using it, to reduce the chance of hackers doing damage. It hasn't crashed in several years.

Elan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.