Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Nobody is going to pull out a tape measure on you. Our RV sells as a 36' but measured it's 36' 9" Oops, we have a motor scooter carrier on the front that projects out another 2' 6". Double oops, we have a hitch for a tow car on the back that adds another 1' 6". Altogether we're really about 40' (not counting the car) and we've still been in lots of national parks with a 35' limit and never had a problem. Yes, I've had to back in far enough that there's some "scrub" under the back hitch once in a while, and yes, I've had to park in what I call "the stick of gum in the wrapper" parking places, but overall, doable.

Mrs. Goofy tells me that we were not allowed in one section of Yellowstone (on the road), and also for one part of Glacier National. I don't remember that, but it could have happened. 16 years ago and all.

I will say this: I will NEVER drive an RV through Yosemite again. It was the worst drive of my life; narrow (super narrow) roads, twisting, turning, and one side you're looking down into several hundred foot drops into a ravine, with a maybe 1' curb made out of a few stones along the edge. We overstressed the brakes (the heat alarm went off) and when I tried using the transmission for braking that heat alarm went off too. Mrs. Goofy was yelling "You're too close to the edge" while I was yellow "but I just missed that guy coming the other way by 6". We saw two RV accidents on the drive through: one had run off the road (onto the "high side" not over a cliff) and the other two RV's sideswiped each other.) We both had massive headaches by the time it was all over. Much better would have been to park in a nice friendly campground outside, and drive the car through to sightsee.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.