Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Interesting linkup can't yet work out what it does for my shares in NOK, ARMHY etc.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/991013/e1.html

DD
Print the post Back To Top
DirtyDingus writes:
Interesting linkup can't yet work out what it does for
my shares in NOK, ARMHY etc.

Executive summary: Nokia is licensing the Palm OS so it
can implement the user interface and applications to
run on the Symbian platform. Resulting devices will run
both Palm and Symbian applications.

Opinion: I consider this a positive for Nokia and for
consumers. It's not necessarily a slam dunk -- you can
never predict in advance if marrying two technologies
will: a) work as planned; b) catch on with the consumer
market. If this particular project doesn't work out,
I won't be especially concerned for Nokia's sake. That
they continue to innovate and take some calculated
risks means more than a single success or failure.

I'm still not rushing out to buy 3COM. <wink>

-Rubic
<I'm still not rushing out to buy 3COM. >

Smart move Rubic.

MYCROFT
No. of Recommendations: 1

I think that the Palm Pilot OS move from Nokia is mainly aimed at North American market. Palm is a big hit there, which it is not in Europe. So it may make sense to plan for pen-based wireless applications for North America and EPOC OS applications for Europe and Asia. Nokia's big 2000 EPOC model has still not been unveiled, so we don't know what the company's main internet vehicle for next year looks like. It might be a third-generation 9000 model with EPOC.

EPOC seems to be set to dominate the internet phone market in 2000. Ericsson has already launched a PDA/mobile phone combo, Motorola should get the EPOC phone out by spring and Nokia presumably debuts its own EPOC model by CEBIT fair at the latest (next March).

In contrast, Palm Pilot presence seems a little hazy in short term. pdQ is obviously not a break-through product. Siemens and Alcatel are likely to use PP OS, but their internet product plans are not as aggressive as those of N, M and E. Alcatel as a high-end phone manufacturer is a non-starter, anyway.

I'm hoping that Palm and Symbian consortium can work out some sort of an alliance. There should be room for both operating systems. The main thing is to keep Microsoft out of the loop and that seems to be happening. When you look at companies with some sort of commitment to either EPOC or Palm (Nokia, Ericsson, Motorola, Matsushita, Alcatel, Siemens) you see that six out of top eight phone manufacturers are now betting against WinCE.

This Microsoft-British Telecom alliance to develop internet phones seems deeply bizarre. Apparently they are recruiting Sagem and Samsung to help them out. Any internet phone initiative dependent on Sagem for manufacturing support seems deeply troubled to me.

Tero