Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I've done quite a bit of searching, both here and on the IRS page, but can't seem to find the answer.

My dad gave me a car as a wedding present. Last year we decided to give up on repairing this car time and time again. So, we bought a new car and donated the old car to charity.

Now, I'm preparing my taxes. The old car had a blue book value of $1,300. However, because the value of the donation is over $500, I have to report my cost-basis. I can't figure out what my cost-basis is. This car was a gift to me, although my dad did incur a cost. Can anyone give me some advice on what I should report as the cost-basis? Thank you in advance.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.