Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am wretchedly confused.
Someone please help.

I am the non-custodial parent to my son who is 17 months old. He lives with mom, though we share joint legal custody.

I pay monthly child support and the only other expenses i have for him (besides toys and clothes) are his prescribed othorpedic shoes and related material.

His mom has informed me that she will claim him as a dependent this year.

Do i have a right to make a mention of the child support payments in preparing my taxes?

Do i have the right to claim him next year?

How do i know if i provide more than 50% of his income?? This 50% thing is so ambiguous...I need definition here !

Please help me out --

Much thanks to whomever can help....
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.