Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I think I ask this every year, and the answer's the same. THe question just keep getting a little different.

I think I'll be ineligible for a Roth IRA. I can't be sure, PWC did my 2010 taxes from an overseas assignment, and there are some tax events in 2011 from that assignment. But let's assume I'm over the limit.

I have a 401k, a traditional IRA, and a Roth IRA. My wife has a couple of small IRAs and a Roth IRA.

Would the simplest thing to do it just contribute the maximum amount to the traditional IRA's even if they're not tax deductible?

I was thinking if I put $6k into a tradition IRA and converted it the same day to a Roth IRA, that would be a worthy goal, but I'm not sure the effort is worthwhile.

And since I probably won't do my taxes for a few more months, but there's no reason to wait to contribute. I can do that today, do my taxes in April showing the non-deductible contribution.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.