Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Non-deductible IRA: Don't do it. Any money that comes out of it will be taxed as income -- and your income taxes are not going to get lower.

It might be a good place for something that is tax-inefficient, like the Vanguard REIT Index Fund.

But for broadly-based stock index funds, it probably isn't.

I think I would prefer holding something like the Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund or the Vanguard Tax-Managed International Fund in taxable account than hold it in non-deductible Traditional IRA.

Disclaimer:
I have Vanguard Tax-Managed International (stock) Fund and Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund in taxable, Vanguard REIT Index Fund in Roth, and Vanguard Bond Market in both taxable and Roth, but then, thanks to my 403(b) contributions plus itemized deductions, I am in the 15% federal marginal tax bracket. If I were in a higher tax bracket, I'd look at a state-specific municipal bond fund or a non-state-specific municipal bond fund for my bond allocation in a taxable account to see if the after-tax yields are better than after-tax yields of the Total Bond Market.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.