Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I haven't been here in a very (very!) long time, but as I was trying to untangle something today, I remembered how helpful this board has been in the past. Hoping for some thoughts on this situation.

I signed my 11 year old daughter up for a summer camp that is run by a 501(c)(3) organization. The organization does other things besides the camp.

They state that 60% of the registration amount is considered a tax-deductible donation. Is this possible?

The closest thing I found on the IRS site seemed to be school tuition/daycare, where "You can't deduct as a charitable contribution amounts you pay as tuition even if you pay them for children to attend parochial schools or qualifying nonprofit daycare centers. You also can't deduct any fixed amount you must pay in addition to, or instead of, tuition to enroll in a private school, even if it is designated as a “donation.”


- Parkway
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.