Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My mother is considering investing into a new home with myself and brother. My brother will be the only person living in the new home. Myself and my mother live out of state from where the home is located.

My mother is wondering, what are the IRS tax implications of being a co-owner ?

Would this not be handled like a large stock purchase - only when the investment is sold and an income or loss is realized, then there would be IRS tax requirements ?

She is not interested in witting off the property taxes on her tax return. Basically, she just wants to be co-owner without any of the hassles (insurance, etc.. ). As of now, she thinks that this will involve considerable involvement on her part dealing with the IRS etc..

Any input from anyone would be helpful. I do not own a home and am not familiar with homes and IRS taxes.

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 9
My mother is considering investing into a new home with myself and brother. My brother will be the only person living in the new home. Myself and my mother live out of state from where the home is located.

My mother is wondering, what are the IRS tax implications of being a co-owner ?

Would this not be handled like a large stock purchase - only when the investment is sold and an income or loss is realized, then there would be IRS tax requirements ?

She is not interested in witting off the property taxes on her tax return. Basically, she just wants to be co-owner without any of the hassles (insurance, etc.. ). As of now, she thinks that this will involve considerable involvement on her part dealing with the IRS etc..

Not that you asked, but please engage the services of an attorney to draw up a formal agreement on this. You need to address such things as who does what, who pays what, how proceeds of sale are handled, what happens if someone wants out, etc. Spending time now discussing and settling such things while everyone's talking will go a long way to preserving family peace and assets when the day comes that there's a disagreement or someone dies.

As for taxes, you can pretty much set things up as you want to. How you set things up will determine the effect on taxes. If your mother just wants to be an investor, things can be set up so there's no effect on her taxes until the property is sold.

Phil
No. of Recommendations: 1
Not that you asked, but please engage the services of an attorney to draw up a formal agreement on this. You need to address such things as who does what, who pays what, how proceeds of sale are handled, what happens if someone wants out, etc. Spending time now discussing and settling such things while everyone's talking will go a long way to preserving family peace and assets when the day comes that there's a disagreement or someone dies.

I'd give this a day's worth of recs if I could.

Co-ownership with family can be wonderful or it can be a disaster. I rarely see anything inbetween.

--Peter
No. of Recommendations: 1
Ditto what the other two said!!!!! Posted my own experience a bit ago on another board (http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=22743305). Ours ended up working out mostly okay financially in the end, but it has been incredibly painful.

How you set up your agreement will impact everyone's taxes. Tax implications and legal agreement need to be considered together.

Best of luck.
Kathleen