Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Wish I could be the lucky one asking this question, but a friend of mine has a wife that earns a lot of money. So he went to work for the Church School, as a monitor. Made only $2,900, but had more fun than you could imagine. If a Church is a Non-Profit Organization, is his wages taxable ?? They took out no Federal or State Income Tax, which could be a result of his W-4 and low earnings.

Is income earned from a non-profit (or is it a not-for-profit) organization exempt from Income Tax.

Thanks for your input, and hope all paid the $30.00 fee to help answer my question.

Print the post Back To Top
Income earned from a non-profit organization is not exempt from income tax. However, certain church employees are exempt from income tax and social security/medicare withholding. These employees have to make estimated tax payments and treat their salaries as self-employment income. Finally, if your friend's projected annual earnings were low enough ($2900/year is low enough) and this were his only income, there would be no income tax due (below standard deduction and personal exemption amounts).

Ira
Finally, if your friend's projected annual earnings were low enough ($2900/year is low enough) and this were his only income, there would be no income tax due (below standard deduction and personal exemption amounts).

The friend in question has a wife, so wouldn't this only be the case if they file married filing separately?
The friend in question has a wife, so wouldn't this only be the case if they file married filing separately?

The point I was trying to make is that the payroll department of the church doesn't know anything about a wife or other income, unless the employee tells them by way of what is on the W-4. Without that knowledge, they can only assume that he is not earning enough to require withholding.

Ira