Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My sister in law is thinking about investing in stocks through an online discount broker. She is a Non-US Citizen and Non-Resident as well.

I would like to know how does the US Government tax her for gains that she might have from any sell on her investment and/or interest income she received from the account she opens online.

Is there a difference in the calculation for the tax between US Citizen and Non-US Citizen?

Are there any resources online where I can look up to further understand the tax implication for non-us citizen or non-resident for gains from stock sale or interest income?

To anyone who can help with these, I thank you in advance.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.