Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
HELP!! I'm in the process of doing my taxes on TurboTax and have run across a question I'm not sure about.

In 2002, I did some conversions from funds in my Traditional IRA over to my Roth account. In doing my 2002 taxes, it asks for the cost basis of my Traditional IRA AND the amount it was worth on December 31, 2002 (the difference being a drop of about $10,000). However, this only applies if this was a "nondeductible IRA contribution". The funds in the Traditional IRA were a direct transfer from a 401k (due to divorce) and, as such, I did not take an IRA deduction for it. Therefore, I'm thinking this qualifies as a nondeductible IRA contribution. Am I right?

The difference in value means a huge difference in the amount of taxes due, so I hope it works out in my favor. But, I don't want to do anything wrong when claiming it on my taxes. What to do??

Any and all help would be appreciated.

regards, redhed
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.