Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Nonsense. I suggust you read "Libertarian Just War Theory"

Talk about nonsense! You find one obscure web publication and you think that counters ALL Libertarian philosophy ever written, the Libertarian political platform, the writings and speeches of ALL the Libertarian Party's current and former Presidential Candidates???

That is simply ludicrous...and demonstrates a pathetic lack of understanding of Libertarianism, or more likely a complete disinterest in REAL Libertarianism.

You know, I came to this board as someone with a great deal of affinity with much of REAL Libertarian philosophy, who has supported Libertarian candidates, thinking I might find some like minds. I am absolutely incredulous at what I have found.

You have every right to support pre-emptive war or any other BIG GOVERNMENT, freedom stealing idea you like, but don't PRETEND for a second that it has ANYTHING to do with Libertarianism. That is an INSULT to REAL Libertarians! I find it deeply offensive.

==============

From Michael Badnarik - 2004 Libertarian Presidential Candidate
http://www.badnarik.org/Issues/IraqWar.php

The War in Iraq is a failure, and the U.S. government should never have waged it. As your president, one of my first tasks will be to begin the orderly process of bringing our troops home as quickly as can safely be accomplished.

More and more Americans are coming to oppose the war, the war hawks and high government officials are beginning to distance themselves from the president, and the U.S. seems more willing than ever to pull out of Iraq.

But this is not enough. We need to learn how this disaster happened, so we can prevent future disasters from happening.

First, allow me to dispel a myth. People in the Middle East do not hate us for our freedom. They do not hate us for our lifestyle. They hate us because we have spent many years attempting to force them to emulate our lifestyle.

The U.S. government has meddled in the affairs of the Middle East far too long, always with horrendous results. It overthrew the democratically elected leader of Iran and replaced him with the Shah. After making Iranians the enemies of Americans, the U.S. government gave weapons, intelligence and money to Iran's mortal adversary, Saddam Hussein. The U.S. government also helped Libyan

Col. Qaddafi come to power, propped up the Saudi monarchy and the Egyptian regime, and gave assistance to Osama bin Laden.

Most Americans have forgotten these events. But the people of the Middle East will always remember.

It was because of American troops in Saudi Arabia, lethal sanctions on Iraq, support for states in serious violation of International Law, and siding with Israel in its dispute with the Palestinians to the tune of more than $3 billion per year in taxpayers' funds that 3,000 innocent Americans paid the ultimate price on September 11, 2001.

The proper response would have been to present the evidence as to who committed the heinous act both to Congress and to the people, and have Congress authorize the president to track down the individuals actually responsible, doing everything possible to avoid inflicting harm on innocents.

A Libertarian president would not have sent the military trampling about the world, racking up a death count in the thousands, wasting tax money on destroying and re-building infrastructure, creating more enemies, and doing the kinds of things that led to 9/11 in the first place.

We cannot undo history, unfortunately.

The U.S. government has never succeeded in establishing freedom and democracy in any of its foreign adventures in the last fifty years.

Freedom and democracy are blessings any people must establish for themselves.

Here at home, war leads to a decline in civil liberties, higher taxes, and wartime economic measures that blur the line between business and state, allowing politically favored corporations to profit at the expense of taxpayers.

Libertarians understand the importance of adhering to the Constitution, because it is designed to limit the power of the state here and abroad. And we especially understand the danger of war, which expands the power of the government far beyond its constitutional limits.

The founders of this country knew that war should not be initiated at the president's whim, and so the constitutional authority to wage war rests with Congress.

James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare. . ."

In short, a libertarian foreign policy is one of national defense, and not international offense. It would protect our country, not police the world.

I'm Michael Badnarik, Libertarian for President. I ask the tough questions---to give you answers that really work!

============
From former Libertarian Presidential Candidate Ron Paul :
http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2003/cr072103.htm
Hopefully, we will soon seriously consider the foreign policy approach advocated by our Founding Fathers, a policy of nonintervention in the affairs of other nations. Avoiding entangling alliances and staying out of the internal affairs of other nations is the policy most conducive to peace and prosperity. Policing the world and nation building are not proper for our constitutional republic.
--------
And this from Ron Paul:
Justifying preemption is not an answer to avoiding appeasement. Very few wars are necessary. Very few wars are good wars. And this one does not qualify. Most wars are costly beyond measure, in life and limb and economic hardship. In this regard, this war does qualify:
566 deaths, 10,000 casualties, and hundreds of billions of dollars for a victory requiring self-deception.

and another from Ron Paul:

Even if we assume that anything will be an improvement over the Hussein regime, the fundamental question remains: Why should young Americans be hurt or killed to liberate foreign nations? I have never heard a convincing answer to this question. If we sacrifice 500 lives to liberate Iraq, should we sacrifice five million American lives to liberate the people of North Korea, Taiwan, Tibet, China, Cuba, and countless African nations? Should we invade every country that has an oppressive government? Are nation-building and empire part of our national credo? Those who answer yes to these questions should have the integrity to admit that our founders urged the opposite approach, namely a foreign policy rooted in staying out of the affairs of other nations..

============

From former Libertarian Presidential Candidate Harry Browne:

http://www.harrybrowne.org/articles/SupportOurBoys.htm
[...]
And when they come home, they will have learned that life is cheap, that collateral damage is inevitable, that killing people that had nothing against you is sometimes necessary. Our boys will never be the same again. Is this how we want our children to turn out?

Some of them won't even come home, since collateral damage works both ways.

Of those who do come home, some will suffer for years — perhaps for the rest of their lives — from guilt, or with unexplained symptoms arising from the firing of weapons armed with depleted uranium. Is this what you want for your children.

If your child is one of the casualties, what will you think ten years from now — when Iraq is no more a democratic, friendly nation than it is now? What will you think when it becomes obvious that this wasn't a war against Saddam Hussein, it was a war against reason — the first in a series of empire-building adventures against the likes of Iran, Syria, Libya, Saudi Arabia, and who-knows-who-else?

Is this why you had children — to send them off to kill and to risk their lives in a meaningless war for the benefit of a handful of politicians?

I'm sorry Senator Lieberman and Senator Graham, but I not only think you're mealy-mouthed, I think you're disgraceful. If the country really should "come together" now, it should be united against the idea of attacking a virtually defenseless nation on the unverified say-so of a known liar.

To "come together" to support insanity is not patriotic, it is not reason, it is not moral. It simply makes you as guilty as the people perpetrating this war.

If you really want to support our boys over there, do the honorable thing:

Demand that they be brought home now.

=============

from the Libertarian Platform adopted at July 2002 convention:

[...]

IV. Foreign Affairs

American foreign policy should seek an America at peace with the world and the defense -- against attack from abroad -- of the lives, liberty, and property of the American people on American soil. Provision of such defense must respect the individual rights of people everywhere.

The principle of non-intervention should guide relationships between governments. The United States government should return to the historic libertarian tradition of avoiding entangling alliances, abstaining totally from foreign quarrels and imperialist adventures, and recognizing the right to unrestricted trade, travel, and immigration.

[....]

The Principle: The important principle in foreign policy should be the elimination of intervention by the United States government in the affairs of other nations.

[...]

Military Policy
Any U.S. military policy should have the objective of providing security for the lives, liberty and property of the American people in the U.S. as inexpensively as possible and without undermining the liberties it is designed to protect.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.