Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Been reading all about David and Tom’s recs to keep stocks for 3-5 years (minimum) and try to have a diversified portfolio of 15-30 stocks. With that, how does the portfolio ever grow along with my income?

In other words - say I have $100 to invest, so I choose 20 “recommend buy now” stocks and invest $5 in each (obviously make believe math here). Now I’m out of money to use for investing. But, as my regular savings account grows over the months/years and I want to transfer money into my investment portfolio, how do I do that and still stick to the “15-30 stock for 3-5 years” model? Do I just pump more money into the stocks I already have? Do I pick other/new stocks to buy and expand my portfolio? In that case I would eventually have hundreds on stocks, doesn’t seem productive.

I know the typical answer is “it depends,” and probably on a million factors. I’m just looking for some generic/typical guidance on what people usually do.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.