Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 131
Norm,

I will not argue with you about the necessity of the abortion. It's very clear that those who consider a fetus to be a human life, and those who do not, each have strong justification for their side of this issue and all of the yelling I see above is not likely to reconcile the two sides.

But this is a statement I do feel competent to address:
I have been in the position of ministering both to women who have been molested and raped, in some cases quite violently, and to women who have had abortions, often enough to tell you from first-hand experience that the aftermath of an abortion is usually worse -- often by an order of magnitude -- than the aftermath of a rape

I have been raped twice. I have also had two abortions. The rapes and the abortions were not related. I am nearly 20 years past all four events, so it's safe to say that any emotional aftermath has surfaced by now. I do not have other friends who were raped (that I know of) but I do have friends and relatives who have had abortions. Some of them have some regret about it, but only one that I know of feels that it was a mistake.

I have no way of knowing how many women of each type (those who were raped or those who have had abortions) you have ministered to. But I think it's fair to say that your opinion on abortion may have affected how they viewed the event after speaking to you, and that it may have contributed to their negative emotions about it. While I don't criticize you for your views, or for ministering to them in the way you feel is best, I am pointing out that your sampling of the aftermath is skewed by the circumstances in which you learn about the events.

Having been through each experience myself, I can tell you I would gladly have another abortion rather than be raped again.

And I can't imagine that anyone who has been through both would feel differently about it.

Frydaze1
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.