Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Calling all North LA Fools:

I live in Ruston and am interested in starting an investment club in the area that would focus on small caps and growth issues or anything else we could make money on. Would anyone be interested in having such a club that rotates it meeting site between Monroe, Ruston and Shreveport? Does anyone know of any clubs already operating in any of these cities?

Fool Speed Ahead,

Halbrook
Print the post Back To Top

Halbrook,

I live in Bossier City and have just begun to get into the investment scene and researching stocks. Would definitely be interested in starting a club. Although I am only a beginner, I feel like am now addicted and have found my hobby-golf is boring compared to this. Please E-mail me at Tuthboy@aol.com and lets see what we can put together. I am a Louisiana Tech grad and know my way around Ruston-about a 50 minute drive for me.
Tuthboy,

Great to hear from you, especially since you are another red & blue Bulldog! I too am new to investing and researching. I think a club will be a great way to get started. Do you think we can round up another one or two Fools between Shreveport and Ruston? Heck, if they are a Fool, I would even let an NLU Indian from Monroe put his/her wampum in the kitty.

So how bout it North LA? Tuthboy and I will begin to discuss specifics concerning time, date and location for a North LA Investment Club and we want to hear from you. Post your comments here.

Fool Speed Ahead

Halbrook
Fellow Fools and Bulldog Alumni,
I too am about to leap into Dow Investing, buoyed only by my motley-colored flotation device. Initially I plan to invest my self-directed retirement plans, then add some after-tax money. Three [modest] piles of money; should I allocate all of them about 75% FF and 25% Vanguard 500 Index, with the intent of later converting some of the index money to Rule Breakers and Rule Makers? Or pile A = 75%FF/25%Index, Pile B=75%RB/25%Index, and pile C=75%RM/25%Index? At first blush, twenty-something securities seems like a lot to keep up with to a formerly Wise mutual-fund investor; however, the FF need to be checked up on annually, and RM and RB practically never, so maybe?
I am going to decide soon so as to get in on the 12/27 Redistribution Date; any suggestions would be welcome at lwashington@laribay.net or on this board.
Please count me in on potential club plans, too. By the way, Tuthboy, does your monniker indicate that you, too, survived "Savage Sam" McCluggage or some other twisted gross anatomy professor?

3PLayne:

That's a definite yes to surviving "Dr." Mccluggage. Just when I thought I had exorcised the demons of those 4 years at LSUSD, you send me into flashback mode. I'm in practice in Bossier City for the past three and a half years-graduated in '95. I'm still all for the LaTech chapter of the Fool. We need to contact Halbrook and get the ball rolling. If I were you, I'd skip the s&p index fund with Vanguard and put it directly in the Rule Maker tech stocks-how can you go wrong with this approach? If not these stocks, I'd find a tech index fund, maybe one which replicated the Nasdaq 100. As you can probably tell, I'm bullish on technology and would have no problem with all of my portfolio in tech stocks of industry leaders for at least the next decade, although I don't know what your horizon is. Please reply, Tuthboy.
Just found this board and decided to check in. I'm not very knowlegable about The Motley Fool other than the obvious areas. It would be nice to meet some other like souls from this area. In investing I lean more to the value side than the growth. Have never contacted anyone through the internet but I'm in Shreveport and willing to give it a try but don't know what to do. Will check board later. Howdy
Tuthboy:

We appear to be gathering some momentum for an investment club. There's sixfootlady from over around Arcadia somewhere and howdyfrom71 in Shreveport that have both recently posted concerning a North LA investment club. With you, me, 3PLayne (if he/she is still around and interested) and these two newcomers we have more than a critical mass IMHO. There's also nodavies (no is for New Orleans) that wants to join a club and I told him he's welcome here but we could probably only get all these hillbillies down to his neck of the woods about once a year. What say you?

Fool Speed Ahead,

Halbrook

Halbrook,

Good to see you post again. Just got your message this morning(3-26-00). I'm all for it. I think we just need to get some momentum on this thing. We need to coordinate between ourselves and maybe find a chat room somewhere where we can have a real time discussion to get this thing off the ground. I'm invested in about four companies since Nov. JDS Uniphase, Cisco, Intel and a speculative co called Rambus. Portfolio up about 75 percent so far. Can't complain. Are you invested yet and what is your style.

Tuthboy
Tuthboy:

Sorry to take so long to reply. I think we may be able to pull together a core of a investment club if we keep on posting. I got into the Foolish Four with EK, CAT, S and GM back in July of 99 when the Dow was at an all time high of 11,000 plus. Across the board I am down about 12%. I also have MSFT and AOL. I got into AOL after the Time Warner deal so it is doing alright and MSFT has been holding it's own at the level I entered though I haven't checked it today. How do we go about getting this club started?

Halbrook