No. of Recommendations: 22
Not a good stretch for getting simple, clear, useful information from timing signals.

I'd suggest the best way is to follow these steps:

1. Identify a bottom (trough) via indicators like your own bottom finding signals that seek to pinpoint opportunities in the market of an extreme nature.
2. Gradually enter based on these signals, but don't go all in at the first signal, especially when volatility is high.
3. Have sufficient confirming indicators to help you in ratcheting up your confidence in the previous bottom finding signal so that you can remain invested as the battle of the wills pushes the market higher.
4. Prior to #1 have in place a definite method for knowing when to exit the positions you entered due to the bottom finding signals, or switch to less aggressive positions due to a definite signal. For example, from 12/24/2018 I was positioned in a number of 2x and 3x leveraged ETFs and held them until my exit signals in the early part of February. At that point, one could move to something less aggressive, like SPY or similar.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.