No. of Recommendations: 8
Not having read E&M, I suppose I'm on shaky ground even to consider posting to this thread…but I'm gonna do it anyway 'cause I like living on the edge.

First, props to Jeff for starting up this board in the first place, and for appropriately defining specific parameters for ensuing discussions. Though I haven't, as I mentioned, read E&M, this board has exposed me to a great deal of the principles included in their text…both in the form of comments included within extensive chart analysis, and by way of Pup's terrific Dirt Time™ entries. The more I follow the discussions, the more I deem E&M to be a collection of principles and precepts that have over the years become part and parcel of almost every market analyst, past and present. Certainly, there are some differences from one to another, but my point is that E&M does not represent a vast divergence from the sum of universal market observation and thinking. For that reason, I see no reason that other analysts' texts should be excluded from discussions here. Even within the parameters set forth by Jeff, they could be appropriately introduced to illustrate either points of agreement with E&M (thus further establishing E&M's validity), or points of disagreement which may encourage readers to be more open minded and to view E&M in a more critical and scholarly fashion. Personally, I am reluctant to accept the whole of any source as the be-all and the end-all on any subject, and I would welcome opposing (or, confirming) views from other sources.

Second, this board was founded and first populated by a small band of daytraders. Over its initial months, it has attracted (and rightfully so) a considerable number of ST and LT traders. It should be no surprise to anyone that the concoction would result in some disagreement…not least because most daytraders pretty much eschew TA in the first place! Daytraders are a hard-headed bunch and many of the principles by which they trade are contrary to the ST and LT TA espoused by E&M. Consequently, their knee-jerk reaction is to pooh-pooh much of what is said here. However, their being here at all (and I speak mostly for myself on this point) is an indication that they have horizons that need expanding and unfamiliar trading strategies about which they'd like to learn. Frankly, I applaud congenial disagreement in a learning venue. It makes us think, and it makes us consider our own views more closely when we attempt to support them in the face of contrary views. So, let's keep the disagreement coming…but let's remember to keep it congenial. Otherwise, it becomes unproductive.

Sandy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.