Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Here in the Pacific Northwest we see the barges with TIDEWATER on the side hauling grain and woodchips etc. down the Snake and Columbia Rivers. If the extreme environmentalists have their way and the dams are removed the locks that are with them will go to...as will all the river transportation.

My point is not to just look at oil when looking at this stock.

Does anyone know how much of their transport is in oil and how much is in other items?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
Does anyone know how much of their transport is in oil and how much is in other items?

From the most recent 10-K filing:

Year Ended March 31, 2000:

Towing-supply/Supply.................. 72.8%
Offshore Tugs......................... 14.1%
Crew/Utility.......................... 9.2%
Safety/Standby........................ 2.0%
Other................................. 1.9%

These figures reflect the breakdown of revenues from vessel operations only. Tidewater also operates two shipyards, which contribute a small percentage to revenues. The 10-K says 44% of the shipyards' business for the year related to Tidewater's own vessels.

I saw no direct mention of grain and woodchips, but I'd guess that falls into the "Other 1.9%" percent category. The 10-K included the following paragraph:

The company's other major classes of vessels include crew and utility vessels that are chartered to customers for use in transporting small quantities of supplies and personnel from shore bases to offshore drilling rigs, platforms and other installations; offshore tugs that tow floating drilling rigs, dock tankers, barges, assist pipelaying and construction barges and are used in a variety of other commercial towing operations, including towing barges carrying a variety of bulk cargoes and containerized cargo.

The 10-K also mentions that Tidewater will charter inland tugs "to others." I would presume that what you saw floating down the river was part of this inland fleet. Hard to say for certain without a call to the company, but it could very well be Tidewater is trying to find revenue opportunites for idle capacity.
Thanks for the reply, but...

Maybe it's inside this category

Towing-supply/Supply.................. 72.8%

I know chips and grain sounds like not much but it's big business here in eastern WA and Or and Idaho

Jean
No. of Recommendations: 1

Should have gone to their website before I posted. I had no Idea they were a world wide company...so much for making judgements without doing the research:)
Tidewater is engaged in supporting oil and gas exploration and exploitation around the world. Many companies share the Tidewater name (such as the barge company you mentioned). Similarly, while Tidewater vessels provide logistical support to offshore drillers/produces and also perform rig moving, barge support, Tidewater does not have any oil tankers or bluewater ships. Just thought you should know that the environmental exposure (such as Exxon Valdez) does not exist.