Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Not mold. It's sort of a reddish-brown spot about the size of a quarter. Also, the light areas appear to be a bit yellowed and/or dingy. I'm sure that wasn't the original color.

As I said, if I spot clean I would likely make a noticeable clean spot (assuming I can get the stain out) that would be in stark contrast to the rest of the quilt.

I suspect that, except for the spot, most of the discoloration is from being exposed to general household dust, air pollution, and just the general conditions of 20th century living over many years. Maybe also skin oils and grime, since I noted that one edge seemed to be a bit darker than the rest of the quilt (so maybe the owner pulled it up many times over the years?).

The quilt is presently smooth. I have concern that the stitching will "pucker" and the quilt will be permanently wrinkled. Yes, I would do it on the gentle cycles, though I don't have a way to hang-dry something that large so I would have to tumble-dry ultra low (possibly even air dry...our dryer offers that). But if immersion in water causes any shrinkage all that stitching will pucker, and the quilt won't look nice anymore.

1poorguy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.