No. of Recommendations: 0
Not necessarily just "not coerced". But, yes, he never really expands on that very well without resorting to logical fallacies like "what else could it be". His definitions also are somewhat circular (e.g. he seems to say the conscious mind is something that makes decisions, which assumes the conclusion). His scholarly articles were interesting, but even within those papers they generally were more conservative with their conclusions than he is being. But he is correct that there are hypotheses (presently unverified) about some of this. Can be fun to think about, but not nearly enough to support a conclusion.

He also just shrugs off the fact that "subjective experience", sometimes called eyewitness testimony, is the least reliable evidence there is. You can get several eyewitnesses to an event and get as many descriptions of the vehicle or the perp as there are witnesses. Just because you or I experience something doesn't mean it's real. Or that our reaction was reasoned (e.g. touch something hot...they already know you recoil faster than your brain registers "hot", but you think you made the choice to pull back).

Heck, most married people probably have figured this out. I see something one way, my wife sees it differently. Or we remember something differently. There is an objective fact, and objectively correct answer, which would be available to us if we had recorded the event. Without that we have different memories of it, and often no way to reconcile it. Our experiences, and memories of our experiences, simply are not reliable. Within a marriage it can be annoying sometimes, but in a court of law it can send innocent people to the gallows. So it's not a trivial thing. It's a very real problem.

If you were to tell me you experienced something (free will, alien abduction, wake up to see Jesus standing at the foot of your bed, whatever), I would believe you experienced something but would not necessarily accept your interpretation without additional evidence.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.