Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Not really a tax question but if you had a LLC formed for a rental property and no longer are planning to rent any more properties and are selling the last property that was in the LLC, do you have to do anything special to terminate the LLC?

(All of the financial stuff was just passed through to my taxes and I was the sole member.)

Probably yes, there's something to file with the state agency where you set up the LLC to start with. In many states, that's the Secretary of State's office. It might be called a Dissolution Statement, or Articles of Dissolution, or maybe they say Termination instead.

You might also want to talk to a lawyer about whether there's a reason to keep the LLC in existence for a while, due to contingent liabilities.

For tax purposes there isn't any need to dissolve the LLC, as it has been a disregarded entity for tax purposes.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.