No. of Recommendations: 0
Not sure, but you register a dba in the first place with the secretary of state's office via a "report of use of fictitious name" form. So maybe the secretary of state would be the place to check?

In my state, this is a county function, not a state function.

If you filed the fictitious name form with your county, that's who you should ask. If you filed it with your state, that's who you should ask.

If you didn't file one at all - which is entirely possible because many banks don't require it to start a checking account - then you should file one now with your name only.

I would start with my country government office - give them a call or stop by. You want to know where to file a "Fictitious name form for a business" or something similar. Usually it's a brief form and requires a small payment.

I'll add that it may not be mandatory to file one of these forms to operate as a dba. There are businesses that have operated for decades without it.

After you file the form, you'll likely get a letter from your county tax assessor wanting to know about business property and inventory so they can tax you accordingly.

...what does it take to get the bank account switched over?...

Ask your bank. They probably have a standard form your former partner would need to complete and sign to get his authorization removed from the account.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.