No. of Recommendations: 3
Not sure if this is the right board for this question, but I will start here....my investment advisor informed me that he is leaving Fidelity and taking all his accounts to TDAmeritrade.

This part is UP TO YOU, it's not his decision in any way.

My advisor assures me the move will be smooth and I will be getting a better deal? and he will be getting better investing advice/programs through Ameritrade.

Make the advisor work a little. You should be provided with all these details and specifics IN WRITING. What exactly is the deal (fees, etc) now, and what exactly will they be at the new place. Line by line, with each one clearly shown for all your holdings.

Finally, in general, when moving a large sum of money from one company to another, there are various incentives. Often those incentives are in the form of a cash bonus, perhaps even up to 1/4-1/2% of the assets transferred in some cases. Sometimes the bonus is in the form of some period of free trading, or number of free trades, etc. Ask what bonus you will receive if you eventually choose to move your account.

For example, right now TD Ameritrade has an incentive of $2,500 cash if you move $1M in assets to their firm - https://www.tdameritrade.com/offer/2500/index.html
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.