Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Not sure to start a new thread or not, but I'll try not to.
I'd like to put to bed the stepped up basis in my house due to my husbands passing.
Just get the paperwork together and put it aside for whenever I sell.

So
I purchased a home by myself.
I sold the home and filed form 2119, adjusted basis of new main home.

The new main home was purchased and put in both my and my husband (to be) names.
He passes away years later.

Since I have the basis of my single purchase of a home...then going to a joint ownership, I'm confused about how to manage the first basis.

I was not married and the cost basis on the first house I owned was 100k.

It was my single cost basis prior to joint ownership. It doesn't feel right that I should half that? It was my cost basis, not my deceased husband's. Can you tell I'm confused and just want to tuck this away with the deed in case I sell?

I'm thinking
My original adjusted basis 100k
.5 appraised value at date of passing xxxk
.5 improvement costs xxk

Appreciate any thoughts...

nag
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.