Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Not sure what a fixed fund is but I agree that you should contribute at least 6% to your 401k to get the free money. Also, the Roth IRA for you and DW is smart. If you like the investment options of your 401k, then you could certainly continue adding to it after your Roths are fully funded. Any time I hear an investment has a guaranteed return, I think annuity and it make me nervous because they tend to carry high costs and commissions. You have to ask yourself is whether 6% is the best you can do. If not, you may be better off putting that $10k to work yourself.

At 28, you have a lot of years to grow your money for retirement. Have you also considered your more immediate saving needs, such as paying down your mortgage faster or paying off the car faster? Will your kids have needs for which you want to have money set aside, such as braces, sports, vacations to Disney World, take the wife on a second honeymoon? Did you want to set aside money for their college educations?

Fuskie
Who offers one other word of caution - this is a publically accessible discussion board and you may not want to post details of your salary here...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.