Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Not sure what I said about IRS that was upsetting. We are definitely looking at a developer and cronies in city hall trying to find ways to maximize city borrowing on his behalf, which requires minimizing interest rate projections, because they have to make the revenues match debt payment. This requires very questionable ways of substituting tax exempt for taxable munis. You provided me with an effective warning shot.

You should definitely make a visit to the Porcupine Mountains a prime destination while in Ironwood (about 1 hour drive to west end of park), although getting to the best skinny dipping spot in the county requires serious hiking (shortest round trip to it is about 10 miles, 11 miles to Shining Falls, which is the better one). Last summer was too wet more my hike past there, but this summer is dangerously dry, so should be less of a slog.

I can suggest lots of longer options, but here are the top things to see at the park:

1) View from Lake of the Clouds overlook. Great, but energetic and sometimes tough terrain hike 4.5 mile one way hike to overlook from Government Peak Trailhead - best to do it that direction to get views of Lake of the Clouds as you walk. Problem is getting back if you only have one car. Some people bring a bike.

2) Presque Isle Boardwalk. That's on the west side and is as easy walk with great falls.

3) Little Carp River Trail from Little Carp River Road parking until you are ready to go back. The Porkies are the largest old growth forest left on Lake Superior, but you can't see it from a distance, and this is the best route for daytrippers, a beautiful walk through the forest along a small river with lots of rapids. The best part is about the first three miles, maybe a little less, heading toward the Lake. I usually suggest as a turnaround a giant white pine on the ridge overlooking the river or until the next time you head down, after which it isn't as nice. Even just the first mile to Greenstone Falls will give you a feel for it. Hiking boots recommended everywhere in the park, except the boardwalk and overlook from parking lot.

Don't bother with Summit Peak, although there is a nice hike from there to Mirror Lake, which has spectacular old growth along the Lake. My preferred route (not the one the park says) is up and down Beaver Creek Trail, along the trail at the bottom to the end of Mirror Lake (lots of people don't know the best part is along the lake and turn when they get to it) then back the way you came: about 6 easy miles round trip.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.