Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Not to change the Subject from the 1964 Fair but want to add my bit of memory:

When I was 9 years old I took a train from WVA, by myself, to NY to visit the summer with My aunt. It was 1939 and a friend of my aunt took me to the 1939 Worlds Fair, and later got to see the NY Yankees play. I still remember the Ball and Steeple, and especially the GM forecast of tomorrow.

Of course after hitting my 90th BD a couple weeks back, a few memories may become a little fuzzy.
Senior Citizen

My, you are an old phardt! My mere 82 years seem young now, although spending the last two days preparing my garden has definitely mad me feel old!

CNC
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Nagdabbit,

Grew up in Brooklyn and was fortunate enough to go to the fair a few times over the 2 seasons.
Enjoyed the GE , Ford, Bell Systems, IBM and NYC displays. The Bell Picturephone, the NYC panorama.
$1 for the fair, I think the Subway fare was 15cents.

Then as a bonus went to Shea stadium to see a Mets game paying for admission with Borden’s Milk Carboard Bottle Caps. Had the Borden’s Elsie the Cow in the outfield.

Growing up went everywhere in Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan and Queens on the Subway.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Going twice, that was lucky!

https://www.nycgovparks.org/highlights/fmcp-worlds-fairs/196...

I had forgotten about Sinclair Oil dinosaur exhibit and yeah, the ones you listed were awesome.

nag
Sinclair Oil gave away small Dinasour's to kids visiting..
went there....from NJ.....with the family for a few hours. was 18 a the time.

Saw some of the exhibits.....

Saw a lot on local TV too......

Visited the ham radio station set up there, too......

t.
I could have spent a week there

nag
I remember it well!
No. of Recommendations: 2
I went with my parents and brother when I was 9, the only thing I remember is the sidewalks and the people, my mom telling me not to talk to anyone, walking around a lot and my brother had aching feet and a doctor came to the hotel room and told him he had flat feet. Honestly, that’s all I remember...too young to appreciate it. We drove from Va. to NYC.

Lucky Dog
No. of Recommendations: 3
My oldest child was born the day the 1964 worlds fair opened.

I grew up only five or ten miles from that location, and my parents took me several times to the 1937 worlds fair, although I was too young to remember it! It was held on the same grounds in Queens.

Now I live about a 45 minute drive further out on Long Island, and drive past the old grounds now and then. At least one building remains, and the area is a big park.

Trini
I grew up only five or ten miles from that location, and my parents took me several times to the 1937 worlds fair, although I was too young to remember it!

I too was at the Word's Fair then. I was only about 18 months old at the time and do not remember. I believe it was 1939 when the fair was there.
No. of Recommendations: 4

When I was 9 years old I took a train from WVA, by myself, to NY to visit the summer with My aunt. It was 1939 and a friend of my aunt took me to the 1939 Worlds Fair, and later got to see the NY Yankees play. I still remember the Ball and Steeple, and especially the GM forecast of tomorrow.

Of course after hitting my 90th BD a couple weeks back, a few memories may become a little fuzzy.
Senior Citizen
No. of Recommendations: 1

Senior Citizen

My, you are an old phardt! My mere 82 years seem young now, although spending the last two days preparing my garden has definitely mad me feel old!

CNC