Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
20/20 aired an expose on the dangers of cell phones tonight on the same day that a federal appeals court reduced the Food Lion judgement against ABC to a $2 fine.

Whether there is a significant health risk is one question, but whether there is a signficant investor risk is another. If you watched it, what is your read? Nokia seemed to take toughest hit when 20/20 presented their own test results on specific models. They had a German lab test 2 Nokia models, 2 Motorola models, & one Ericsson.

My own opinion is that the public has been put through the expose drill enough times now that they are somewhat immune to the effects of such sensational story crafting. I guess we will find out soon enough when markets open.
Print the post Back To Top
Here is an ABC blurb on the story: http://www.abcnews.go.com/onair/2020/2020_991020cellphones.html

I don't know if that will be replaced with a more complete story or not.

I'm much more interested in what the FDA has to say. I haven't read it yet, but the FDA put this out today:

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/ocd/mobilphone.html
No. of Recommendations: 1
Ok, so we all move to earpieces connected via Bluetooth to our Psion handhelds, voila, bang goes your microwave radiation problem.

Also, interesting that the FDA has finally caught up on this one, this has been a big issue in the UK and Europe for some time, probably due to the much higher penetration and usage of mobiles over there.
As has been pointed out in several forums, 20/20 presented test results only for analog use. On the face of it this is a peculiar decision since most new purchases would presumably be for digital use. If ABC's goal is to help consumers make an informed choice, it would seem that presenting data for digital handsets would be essential.

The cynics are quick to point out that digital handsets would have lower levels of radiation, which in turn would make for less spectacular results. But surely ABC wouldn't intentionally mislead us just to get a better headline <g>.
Ok, so we all move to earpieces connected via Bluetooth to our Psion handhelds, voila, bang goes your microwave radiation problem

Pretty OT here, tho I saw the show and thought much along maria's lines.. I recently finished a consulting project trying to use bluetooth based chips to make wireless earpieces along with DSP's in the earpiece for better sound quality (noise reduction, compression, automatic volume control based on exterior noise etc - very cool IMO). Anyway, the bluetooth stuff is definitely not ready for prime time just yet.. The companies that make the chips and those that are part of the BT standards coalition make it sound so, but, IMO it aint there yet..

On the actual topic, I think the hurt comes from culturally identifiable folks (i.e. cool people) like Branson using earpieces (his is available online for about $22 US) rather than the cellphone direct. Most folks IMO will follow that lead rather than the FDA.

Just my 2%, cheers,

jgc
Ericsson's response today: http://www.enw.com/2020/2020.html

Of particular interest:

The U.S. limit of 1.6 watts per kilogram is approximately one-fiftieth of the level of exposure that scientists suggest may have even a minimal effect.