Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Not yet, but not because of any "kinks." The main thing that's stopping us is the limit of 16GB of RAM, and only 2 USB ports. If we could get a MacBook Pro with 4 USB ports and 32GB of RAM, I'd have already ordered one for evaluation purposes.

I fully expect MacBook Pro models with the features we want in the first half of 2021. And they'll probably come with a more powerful chip as well. (My prediction: the M1X, similar to the M1, but with more high-performance cores, and more GPU cores.)

I'll guess that you'll get your wish. There are already rumors that the M1X will have 8 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores. I've not seen anything about more graphics cores, but hopefully that will also be in the M1X.
Print the post Back To Top
We use Macs at my employer.

Can you say who your employer is? I'm curious since I was under the impression that most "big" corporations use WinTel PCs predominantly.

Our Macs are built-to-order with more RAM and faster CPUs than the off-the-shelf models. We typically buy about ten new Macs every month for new hires, and to replace old Macs.

So, do you know if you will be buying any M1 Macs yet? Or play it "safe" and continue buying Intel Macs until any kinks are worked out?
No. of Recommendations: 2
I would bet that COVID related things are affecting the supply chain and distribution chain more than you are crediting here.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Can you say who your employer is?

I work for Autonomic: https://autonomic.ai

It's a subsidiary of Ford Motor Company. (They make cars.)

Our Mac-to-PC ratio is greater than 10:1. (Much greater, but I'd rather not be specific.)

So, do you know if you will be buying any M1 Macs yet?

Not yet, but not because of any "kinks." The main thing that's stopping us is the limit of 16GB of RAM, and only 2 USB ports. If we could get a MacBook Pro with 4 USB ports and 32GB of RAM, I'd have already ordered one for evaluation purposes.

I fully expect MacBook Pro models with the features we want in the first half of 2021. And they'll probably come with a more powerful chip as well. (My prediction: the M1X, similar to the M1, but with more high-performance cores, and more GPU cores.)

I was under the impression that most "big" corporations use WinTel PCs predominantly.
Most do, but Macs have become incredibly popular in the last few years, mostly because of IBM!

I'll post another message about that, because it's not really on-topic.

I'll guess that you'll get your wish. There are already rumors that the M1X will have 8 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores. I've not seen anything about more graphics cores, but hopefully that will also be in the M1X.
I would bet that COVID related things are affecting the supply chain and distribution chain more than you are crediting here.

On what basis would you make that bet?

Virtually all the parts used in Macs are made in China.

China is a country with 1.4 billion, only 280 of who are currently-infected with COVID-19.

Do you really think it likely that in a population where 0.00002% (two-millionths of one percent), it would have any significant effect on the supply chain?

If yes, how so?