No. of Recommendations: 0
All I asked is why he was getting rid of his Macbook;)

It’s slow. Parallels sucks. Wireless networking not fully functional. Can’t go “all Mac” because I NEED the Windows for the tools I use (so stuck with Parallels). Not enough external ports (USB, etc.) for a geek like me that wants 13 different things connected at once. Lack of peripherals for my needs. Anything simple is easy, anything not so simple is almost impossible. I tried… Lord knows I tried… but I just… can’t… do it… It’s reinforced my opinion that the Mac is exactly what I thought it was – the most stable and best computer for the average user, but at this time the absolute WORST choice for a technician. And even if more tools started coming out for it I don’t think it will EVER be suitable for a technician. In order to make it suitable Apple would have to make so many changes that it would no longer be a Mac – adding the functionality needed for a tech would destroy the strong points it has. So I’m going back the a Windhell computer. Which is going to cost me a fortune because the backlit KB on this thing has really spoiled me (and so has the battery life). By the time I get backlit KB and battery life this good on a PC I’m already at $1,500.00. AND the battery on this thing is every bit as strong now as it was the day it was brand new – NEVER had that kind of luck with a Windhell laptop battery. So if you know anyone that wants a slightly dented Macbook Pro, let me know.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
All I asked is why he was getting rid of his Macbook;)

You of all people know that sometimes it's better to listen than to speak..but it does look like you allowed a wonderful venting opportunity to happen....

Oh well, the world certainly has room for many opinions and types.... tools are for using and it's important to use the tool that works best for any given situation....

But..

Parallels sucks......Can’t go “all Mac” because I NEED the Windows for the tools I use (so stuck with Parallels).

How 'bout BootCamp??

Not enough external ports (USB, etc.) for a geek like me that wants 13 different things connected at once

Seems may folks have powered USB ports (among other powered port options)

t’s reinforced my opinion that the Mac is exactly what I thought it was – the most stable and best computer for the average user,

seems like a nice complement....and a pretty good reason to use the system

So I’m going back the a Windhell computer.

Not a glowing recommendation... and a pretty good reason to stay away

To each his own.....maybe he needs the new Dell convertible..

Mick
No. of Recommendations: 1
I told him about Bootcamp, and suggested he should use a USB Hub, since I don't know of any computers that have 13 ports LOL

It was funny to read actually. Because none of the reasons he gave were even remotely against the Mac, they were all an indication of Windhell PC's. Guys like him are far better off with a PC notebook that has dual boot Linux and Windblows.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Funny, and fits very much with my DD's FIL... After seeing how I'd pretty much converted the rest of our families to Macs, he bought a new MacBook Pro, biggest, best, AirPort Extreme, Office, the whole shebang... Parallels, he wanted to run Win stuff...

I stayed out of it, he got it all going, but first thing I know he's giving me the AE, wasn't staying up, seemed to give him trouble, off he went to a LinkSys, happy... I looked into it, found it two or 3 firmware updates behind, plugged it in, no problem for the last year or so...

But back at the MacBook, printers were giving him trouble, work on the Mac side, not on the PC side, ad vice versa.. He tossed Parallels, went straight Mac... Never got used to the differences,in the end earlier this year gave it all to my DD, she, like me has been on Macs forever, loves it, I have to bug her on updates, backups, but that's about it... She's doing webinars, videos, web development, has her whole business on the one system...

Meantime FIL has reverted back to the Win World, a WinDell of some sort, happy at last... Some folks just aren't meant for the Mac.. FIL could have any system he wants, money no object, all used in his business, some systems never will connect to the web, secure, etc.. If it works, don't fix it!

Not my world... But happy to accept, redistribute any runoff!

weco
No. of Recommendations: 4
Anything simple is easy, anything not so simple is almost impossible...the absolute WORST choice for a technician.

Gotta wonder, does he know Unix and did he use Terminal? My view is that anything simple is easy, anything not so simple is easy if you know Unix and can Google. It is the best of both worlds. OSX is easier than Windows for simple things, and Unix is better than Windows for complex things. Maybe he has specialized needs that I don't understand.