Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Beginning '99, I was awarded a small part of the ex's annuity, which entitled me to obtain health insurance. It says "Taxable amount not determined".
There are no instructions as to how to determine the taxable amount, or where I am supposed to file this.
And the IRS might as well be on Mars...
Print the post Back To Top
<<Beginning '99, I was awarded a small part of the ex's annuity, which entitled me to obtain health insurance. It says "Taxable amount not determined".
There are no instructions as to how to determine the taxable amount, or where I am supposed to file this.>>

Sorry...you'll have to deal with the ex in order to find out more about the annuity contract. How the distributions were taken (and if they were taken via a QDRO) will make a difference.

If all else fails, you might have to deal with the annuity company directly. If you can't PROVE your basis in the contract somehow, you'll have no basis and the entire amount will be taxable (and potentially subject to penalty).

TMF Taxes
Roy

No. of Recommendations: 0
TMF Roy, "his" is a disabled military annuity and mine is a small fraction thereof that is paid directl to me.
What I would like to find out is, what tax forms/
schedules/ worksheets do I start out with to de- termine the taxable part of my 1099-R? I suppose
this would be, at most, the whole amount on my
1099-R but since they mention a "taxable part",
there must be a way to figure this out. I am just
not familiar with the forms needed.
<<TMF Roy, "his" is a disabled military annuity and mine is a small fraction thereof that is paid directl to me.>>

Ok...

<<What I would like to find out is, what tax forms/
schedules/ worksheets do I start out with to de- termine the taxable part of my 1099-R?>>

There are really no "forms" to make that determination. Did you look on your Form 1099R? It generally shows a total distribution and taxable distribution. You report both of those amounts on the appropriate line on your tax return.

<< I suppose
this would be, at most, the whole amount on my
1099-R but since they mention a "taxable part",
there must be a way to figure this out. I am just
not familiar with the forms needed.>>

You can check on IRS Publication 554 at the IRS web site for additional invormation.

TMF Taxes
Roy
What I would like to find out is, what tax forms/
schedules/ worksheets do I start out with to de- termine the taxable part of my 1099-R? I suppose this would be, at most, the whole amount on my 1099-R but since they mention a "taxable part", there must be a way to figure this out. I am just not familiar with the forms needed.

Is this a military pension with the CSA 1099R coming from the Office of Personal Management Retirement Programs? Is there an amount in the box labeled "Original contributions"? If yes to both of these questions you need to publications 575 and 939.

And the IRS might as well be on Mars...

And if we could arrange for N.A.S.A. to send them, they'd never be heard from again.:>)