Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've been nervously waiting for the beginning of November and the NaNoWriMo challenge. It's almost here! I'm planning on staying up late tomorrow night and banging out a few words after midnight. It will be a relief to be under way.
Print the post Back To Top
I've registered and donated (again) but I'm still using up my 40 hr "grace period" before commiting.

I really should use the format as an excuse to finish several pieces. Verbiage isn't my problem, discipline is.

SB (in fact verbiage, as defined below, is my specialty!)

From M-W OnLine:

Main Entry: ver·biage
Pronunciation: 'v&r-bE-ij also -bij
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Middle French verbier to chatter, from verbe speech, from Latin verbum word
Date: circa 1721

1 : a profusion of words usually of little or obscure content

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm not crazy about the fact that November 1st starts on a weekend--I get almost no writing done on Saturdays and Sundays due to ever-growing honey-do lists and a labor-intensive part-time job. I hate to think that I'll start on Monday almost 4,000 words behind. Plus, I'll be on call at my primary job the entire first week, so that only means more potential hours away from my computer.

To help me stay focused, I plan on removing all the boards I normally read here at MF--the world can live without my witty quips and insightful analysis for one month, and I can't spare the time.

I will also zip all my non-work-related internet bookmarks onto a floppy and give it to my wife with strict orders that she cannot give me the floppy back until after November 30th or 50k words, whichever comes first. The last thing I need to be doing is reading news sites, looking at comics, or playing games when I am supposed to be writing. Getting my bookmarks back will be another incentive to keep me going.

Good luck to all those who are participating. We'll meet again on the other side--hopefully with fleshed out novels ready for editing.
RE: JB: "To help me stay focused, I plan on removing all the boards I normally read here at MF--the world can live without my witty quips and insightful analysis for one month, and I can't spare the time.

I will also zip all my non-work-related internet bookmarks onto a floppy and give it to my wife with strict orders that she cannot give me the floppy back until after November 30th or 50k words, whichever comes first. The last thing I need to be doing is reading news sites, looking at comics, or playing games when I am supposed to be writing. Getting my bookmarks back will be another incentive to keep me going."

Now that's the kind of dedication that made winning the Nanowrimo second only to the Pulitzer Prize!

SB (a slacker by comparison)
I'm freaking out. As luck would have it, I'm travelling on business Nov. 1 and interviewing law students for summer clerkships. And I have a news article to write, due mid-November.

But I have my plot outline, I have stuff in my head that I just *have* to get on paper, so I guess I'm still in....

CK
I still need to register but I am already pressed for time so I'm not sure when I'll have time to start anything new. So I think I'll just work on completing my novel from last year (over 20k, already outlined). Hm, too bad that I don't have a "Second Time Around, It's Finally Done!" award. ;o)

Word of the Day (many days ago and it still applies!, also from www.m-w.com):
Main Entry: log·or·rhea
Pronunciation: "lo-g&-'rE-&, "lä-
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin
Date: circa 1892
: excessive and often incoherent talkativeness or wordiness

liss
needing to focus that excess into novelling :o)
RE: CK: "I have stuff in my head"

ChocoKitty waxes ineloquent in preparation for NanoWrimo!

SB (whose Teddy Bears have "stuff" in their heads!)
RE: liss: "Hm, too bad that I don't have a "Second Time Around, It's Finally Done!" award"

So, cheat! I'm using the same title, regardless.

SB (logorheacionery)
I'm very excited about this. I have an idea and a couple of characters thought up and that's it. I decided not to do any pre-work because I'm a NaNoWriMo virgin and it just seemed move native to plunge in totally unprepared.

I have taken to counting the number of words in my posts and emails. I can definitely crank out a lot of words. Getting them to be related to each other and to support a plot is another matter. We'll see!

vroom, vroom , vroom...

MPF
RE: MPF: "I have taken to counting the number of words in my posts and emails."

I guess I never even thought about it. Roughly how many words on average fit on a normally margined single spaced 12pt type 8.5x11 page?

SB (600-700?)
I guess I never even thought about it. Roughly how many words on average fit on a normally margined single spaced 12pt type 8.5x11 page?

SB (600-700?)

More like 500 - 600. That means NaNoWriMo folk need to produce about 3 pages a day. I know full time writers that struggle to write 2 pages/day but those are good pages. I'm not planning on writing good pages - just pages. I'll get to the good part starting in Dec.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm so psyched. I'm so there. I'm so confident. I'm so ready. I'm so sure this will be fun. I'm so disciplined. I'm so organized. I'm so committed.

I'm so freaking scared out of my head. I'm so doing it anyway.

MrsFourStarDave
RE: MPF: "More like 500 - 600. That means NaNoWriMo folk need to produce about 3 pages a day."

I can do three semi-coherent pages a day standing on my head! In fact, if I really could type better standing on my head, I could even do more than that.

SB (and these don't even have to be semi-coherent)
Roughly how many words on average fit on a normally margined single spaced 12pt type 8.5x11 page?

In the world of fiction (my primary venue) everything is double-spaced, to give the editor's eyes a break and also leave room for editing marks. The standard convention for a single sheet, double-spaced, 12pt type fixed-width font is roughly 250 words per page. This is the standard that the NaNoWriMo folks are using--they have stated that a 50K novel will equal roughly 200 printed pages. What that would work out to in a published book depends on factors like page size, font size, spacing, etc, so don't think that a 200-page novel will be some young reader's paperback.

Since your question was about single-spaced pages, I suppose the answer would be 500 words, but keep in mind I don't know anyone who wants to read single-spaced manuscripts.

Incidentally, word is that publishers won't look at novels less than 70K words or so. This is largely true, but not written in stone. I've seen plenty of short novels, some even written by new authors. Most, however, were written by established authors or else had proven themselves in some other way, like selling very well as a self-published title, for example.

Likewise, it's certainly possible to sell a first novel that is significantly larger, but you had better be a fine author to pull this off.

One more post on my comfort board and then I'll be off the Fool for a month. See you all on the other side.

Don't just sit there; WRITE!
Word of the Day (many days ago and it still applies!, also from www.m-w.com):
Main Entry: log·or·rhea
: excessive and often incoherent talkativeness or wordiness

hmmm I thought that was called diarrhea of the mouth.

MPF
dumba$$

>>>>This is the standard that the NaNoWriMo folks are using--they have stated that a 50K novel will equal roughly 200 printed pages. What that would work out to in a published book depends on factors like page size, font size, spacing, etc, so don't think that a 200-page novel will be some young reader's paperback.

JB: The manuscripts may be submitted in double-spaced courier, but the books themselves employ single spacing and a proportional font. That makes it difficult to estimate the number of finished pages that will result.

Out of curiosity, I took a few paperback books off my shelf and counted the words on a full page. They ranged between about 330 and 450 (mostly toward the high-end of that range), depending on the book. So I use 400 wds as my ballpark average for a finished paperback. At that rate, an 80K word book would fill about 200 pages. (Of course, the first and last pages of a chapter tend to be shorter, so the total would be more than 200.)

Mark.
Good luck, guys! I'm still finishing the polishing of the last few chapters of my novel (93,000 words now), so I'm sitting NaNoWriMo out this year. (I guess I don't really need it to get me jump-started, anyway.... <g>)

Mark.
I have taken to counting the number of words in my posts and emails.

OMG. You've just given me a great idea for a story. Is it too late to get in on the NaNoWriMo thingy-ma-bob? I, uh, really didn't pay attention before cuz I never thought of myself as a novelist... or even trying to be.
ILC
OMG. You've just given me a great idea for a story. Is it too late to get in on the NaNoWriMo thingy-ma-bob? I, uh, really didn't pay attention before cuz I never thought of myself as a novelist... or even trying to be.

ILC, there are people that start on Nov 20, or later. Have at it!

MPF
3408 words down, 46,592 to go
No. of Recommendations: 2
Bang. Head. Against. Wall.

I was all set to start writing. I really was. Then (1) another long honey-do list from BF; (2) a 3.5 hour traffic jam on the way to the airport; (3) a flat tire on the way back from the business trip (4) cranky partner is freaking out that we're missing this year's financial goals.

Sometimes I hate real life.

At least I'll still be working on a news article this month. Creative life hasn't been killed completely yet.....

CK