Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Now go ponder the best way to break the news to the kids, who merit a lot more consideration than DN does.

This, we still haven't entirely figured out. To *us* it's not a huge deal, and to their daily lives it will make no difference at all. But who knows how kids will view things? So we've been discussing it, but haven't gotten to a conclusion yet on what we are going to say.

Generally, I let the kids lead conversations of magnitude. But i'm not sure what we'll get when we do. I am not even really sure I want to discuss it with them before we leave - part of me thinks it would be best to wait until we return, so that they can *see* that their lives won't change, but part of me thinks we should tell them before we leave so that have a few days to digest the news without us being all up in their grill.

The latter is how *I* would prefer news be handed to me, so I am not sure if that's me talking, or their Mom talking, you know?

The kids are going to need to know about the wedding, and I think it's a little unusual that your kids wouldn't be at the wedding; but it's your life and your wedding to run as you see fit.

The only reason we are going to Vegas is because the chance was offered to us as a gift from Mother-In-Sin. Had it not been there, we would have simply gone down to the courthouse, likely on a lunch break.

We both view the wedding as....an event, not even a really significant one. It's the relationship we think is the most important part of this whole deal. So much so we've given it a two-year test drive!

You could have knocked me over with a feather if you told me 4 years ago I would not only get remarried, but without my children present. But now, at this time, it feels like the right thing to do for T and me. Our relationship is very private (yeah yeah, all joking about Post As Internet Therapy aside....), and we don't talk about our lives in front of the kids, we simply live as examples.

I would bet 10 years from now if you ask them when we got married, they won't remember - we've been living as a commited couple in front of them, and as devoted parents TO them, for years now already.

Maybe that's why we didn't make a big to do here in town - hell we haven't even told many people it's happening (current company excluded, of course!). The commitment is already there, so the 15 minutes event? No biggie, in the grand scheme.

A hell of a reason to take an offer for a free vacation in Vegas, though.

impolite
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.